Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: License
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:41 pm 
Banned

Is MSE3 going to be under the same License which still refers to Shannara Crop as the owner of MSE and all that jazz? I suggest it be changed, add a copyright notice, and possibly placed under the GNU GPL License.

Post subject: Re: License
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:49 pm 
Considering it's a community project, I'd suggest Public Domain. No one person should have any sole ownership over the software.

Why are you always quick to put it under a license? That makes people NOT use the source. >.<

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:52 pm 
Submit-Happy

Public domain.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:22 pm 
Pro

thats usually how community projects work isnt it? People from the community working on them....

Labmonkey gets mod, everybody loves him, people find out his code sucks, he gets demoted, then banned, then he makes an engine called Chaos Engine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:39 pm 
I just meant that the community was actually helping. Pointing out bugs and such. Not that everyone was physically programming stuff in.

:P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:40 pm 
Well, with a stoner like you workin' on it..

How bad could it be? :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:46 pm 
Submit-Happy

Community projects fail. This one just has a few people who actually know how to code doing bits on it xD

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:56 am 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
I vote for GNU GPL client, and GNU LGPL server

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:04 am 
The source was originally Public Domain. There's no need for a license.

Why bother with them?

A lot of people still use 3.0.3, because of the dumb license attached to MSE.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:18 am 
Pro

Google Talk: asrrin29@gmail.com
Perfekt wrote:
The source was originally Public Domain. There's no need for a license.

Why bother with them?

A lot of people still use 3.0.3, because of the dumb license attached to MSE.

QFT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:43 am 
Community Leader

The source code has never been public domain.

Quote:
The public domain is a range of abstract materials – commonly referred to as intellectual property – which are not owned or controlled by anyone.

Mirage Source is clearly owned and controlled by William.

To quote the license already distributed with MS,

Quote:
Many people might think that mirage source was not going to have a fourth release, but the time has come and the version is done. And since there is a new owner of mirage source, I thought I should update the license as well.

The GUI (interface) most be changed before you release a product of some sort.
Bug Fixes and ‘errors from a unedited MSE2’ most be reported to the forum: www.miragesource.com
You may change the credit page, and you do not need to say that it’s created with mirage source in your game or engine. But it is recommended you do so anyway. To support the community.
If you are going to port mirage source into another language, please give credit to its original source.
You are not authorised to host MSE2 for public use. You can only link it to its default download url from mirage source.
You cannot open your own community with any of the mirage source versions without changing the following things:
- All GUI’s must be changed
- You need to have done changes to the source; you can not just copy the source, change the GUI and release it. You must have done some work onto it.
- You need to change the name of the source.

Do you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on:
Johansson_tk@hotmail.com

It's clear that you can not host MSE2, which you could if it were public domain. You can not use the graphics (Which are imo an integral part of the source code since they are included in the project, and not external files)
You must post bug fixes, you wouldn't need to if it were public domain.

Also, I believe you can meet the requirements above and do anything you want with the code, including re-releasing it under the public domain. William's license is hardly a license.

Just remember, once it's in the public domain, it can't be taken out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:03 am 
Pro

Straight from the 3.0.3 and 3.0.7 source release files with the pertinent part bolded:

Shannara wrote:
R.I.P

Rest In Pieces, Mirage.

The United States Copyright Law is a fucking joke. You register the god damn software, and the certificate is fucking worthless. What else do you have to do? Well due to terrorist such as PC and Unknown, you have to pay a fucking lawyer $$$ for a fucking Cease and Desist letter, not to mention $$$ just for the time they spent writing the letter and talking to you. Hey! Guess what? Since C&D letters are fucking worthless, the next step is an injunction which costs $,$$$. That's right, 4 digits, and that is small cash compared to what is needed next.

Well fuck you, this is my rant. The law can shove it up their ass. The law is supposedly created to help the people in time of need. Fuck it, that’s bullshit. 100% bullshit. The law was created to help lawyers make as much money as possible at the cost of the victim. Fuck it, I should be a lawyer. Whether there are honest lawyers out there or not, the system is corrupt from the inside out.

So, the only way to prosecute, sue, or whatever the fuck you want to call it, someone, you have to be either fucking rich, or go broke. Those of us that actually have family to take care of cannot afford to go broke since we actually have responsibilities. Other people do not have that. There is no way I’m going to finish with what I started concerning these bullshit terrorist. Fine, they won fuck’em.

Some people say they wish they were 21 again, or some age above being a teenager. Well fuck you. Being a teenager rules when it comes to the law, you can get away with all the shit you want and only get a slap on the wrist. And to top it off, Chris Kremer (Consty) is one fucked up asshole.

Presumably, Chris Kremer, some know him as Consty, wrote a nice fucked up letter which can be found here. Well fuck you little shit, you’ve been tagged, just like the other terrorists. The next time you try extortion with me, you will find yourself on the receiving end of a metal shaft. At least Ryan (PC) had ½ a brain and did not try that shit with me. You could learn a few things from him, asshole.

So here we go. The Mirage source code can be downloaded, this is the newest version, and it is PUBLIC DOMAIN. This does not mean OPEN SOURCE. This means, you can do whatever the fuck you want with the source code, and I don’t give a fucking damn. Rip it and claim it as your own, like the fucking terrorists did. Give no credit where it’s due, I don’t give a rat’s ass. Just remember this. Only the Mirage source code is public domain, NOT the original tiles, NOT the original items, NOT music, NOT GUI Artwork. Those are still my property. Kapish?

Fuck you, here is Mirage.

-Shannara-

P.S. Watch your backs, this isn't over.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:05 am 
Community Leader

Right, but is it really public domain if you can't use the entire project? You're still required to make modifications to the project before you can do anything to it. Not public domain.

Besides, public domain is really a joke anyways :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:09 am 
Pro

It was made very clear. the source code that compiles is considered public domain. the graphics are not an integral part of the code, as they can be taken out and the source would still function (albiet with a bunch of black picboxes everywhere.) The source was owned by Shan and he had the authority to do whatever he wanted, which included specifying what was and wasn't public domain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:12 am 
Community Leader

we're not discussing the 303/7 series anyways.

MSE is an entirely separate thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:16 am 
Pro

You said that the source code had never been public domain, in response to what Perfeckt and I said, I showed you that it was wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:27 am 
Community Leader

But MSE has never been public domain. It was released separately from MS303/7 as a separate product.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:33 am 
Pro

It all depends on how you want to define it. there would be no MSE without the original 3.0.x public domain releases, but since they were public domain either william or Shan (forgot which atm) released this source under the aforementioned license. It is quite conceivable that someone can recreate all the bug fixes and optimizations independently from MSE and release it under a Public domain license. Either way, alot of us older folks (me included) use 3.0.x vs. MSE because of the license.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:27 am 
The first version of MSE that I have ever downloaded and actually worked on, is DFA's.

I've had people ask me for help, tell me they're using MSE or MSE2 and I refuse to help them.

I won't fuck with something that has a license.

As it stands, DFA's source has no license, if he places one on it, I'll delete it, no matter how much work I put into it.

Shan released the first MSE. He didn't actually sell the source code to William, as it was public domain. He sould the name, and the community. That's it.

And trust me, I know this, because I still talk to Shan and this is what he's told me in the past.

So if you wanna argue what I just said, take it up with him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:22 pm 
Submit-Happy

MS 3.0.3 is public domain.

MSE is simply the 3.0.3 release which has had a tiny bit of work done to it, and has been re-released with a license. Because 3.0.3 is Public Domain, anyone could do that. I could re-release MS 3.0.3 as something else, and force people to pay for it if I wanted.

The thing is, no one actually cares about the MSE License that much. When William bought Mirage off of Shan, he bought the domain, the forum and MSE. If he wanted, he could re-release MSE as public domain, or let us release MS3 as Public Domain.

When it comes down to it, we'll have to use a license like MSE unless William lets us release as public domain.

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:51 pm 
If I'm not mistaken, William removed the license when he bought MS. I forget, and I really don't care. Lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm 
Community Leader

He didn't remove the license. William's release come's with a license.

I quoted it above. You should delete the source code, Matt! MSE with a license is no good, even though every other peice of software on your computer has one! Oh shit, delete Windows too! You agreed to a license for that!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:46 pm 
Pro

Using a program and owning code are two different things. I use Windows, along with many other programs. I own my source code to my game because of it's initial Public Domain base. Had the base been attached with a license, then I would not own the code. That one freedom is what made me choose the older versions of MS over the newer ones. I still report bugs, and give out tutorials, and help, but I am not restricted in what I can or can't do, and what I own or don't own.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:46 pm 
Everything on my PC is downloaded illegally. Not to mention, I'm not changing anything in them.

Dave, quit being the pedophilia little twat you are and open your fucking eyes.

I'm helping DFA with bugs and such in this version. So I'm using it to create a basic little game. So far, I've found a lot of bugs.

Ones that you people should have found, if you really tested the source. Apparently, you didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:34 pm 
Community Leader

Right, you CAN "own" it because William's license never says you can't.

I just don't understand why people are making a big deal out of this? If you want it to have a license, at least make it one that will benefit the community.

I don't understand why someone doesn't create a set of graphics and do william's requirements, "Here, this is free" (the kopimi license)

Actually, the kopimi license would be great. It simply means, "I own this, but please copy, modify distribute and do whatever the fuck you want with it"

Why all this, "You need to do this and this and remove this and do this before you can distribute it" which is a license.