Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mirage Source to VB.NET
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:20 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: steve.bluez@googlemail.com
Does anybody think it's time to start converting the Engine to a different language? Soon, VB6 won't be supported on future operating systems, so I think it's time to gather a few people up to start converting Mirage Source to C++/VB.NET

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:43 pm 
Regular

me was thinking bout that too...I'm soon gonna start some crash course on VB.NET at school, (I say 'crash course', cause the class main teacher really doesn't know what's she's doing sometimes...), but then I look at the guide's and such for VB.NET, and I can't find a half decent site that has good tut's on VB.NET, besides Microsoft's site itself....

meh, I'm goona try and learn both VB6 and VB.NET....but I'm all ear's too for MS or something new being converted over to VB.NET ;) Not that I'll be much help...me try to be but...

-Tay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:44 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
GameBoy wrote:
Does anybody think it's time to start converting the Engine to a different language? Soon, VB6 won't be supported on future operating systems, so I think it's time to gather a few people up to start converting Mirage Source to C++/VB.NET

VB will still be supported? Are you talking about Mac or something?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:23 pm 
I use Vista. It's still works. And that just came out, so I wouldn't worry about it. There won't be a new OS until around 2012 or so.

Besides, Grim already has this started.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:25 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
Id bet Verr could make a vb to VB.net convertor anyway so dont worry :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:29 pm 
VB.Net is not good to use, plain and simple. Your source would be open more or less.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:33 pm 

VB.net sucks, Use C#.net or C++.net, Im going to learn C#.net.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:39 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: Rezeyu@Gmail.com
I use VB6 on my Vista as well, and as Advocate stated, I doubt a new Windows OS is coming out anyimte soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:47 am 

SPOILER: (click to show)
Go ahead and use VB.NET and see how fast someone in particular ends up with the source code to your closed source engine/game.

I suggest C#. Its object oriented and powerful. Only problem is, it's difficult to find documentation on the internet for Visual C#, so I stick with generic C# compilers. Let's me work with Linux software too, which is a plus side.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:06 am 
Knowledgeable

I'm confused... I thought C# (C Sharp) was .Net..

Doesn't that mean it is not cross-platform?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:09 am 

Google C sharp Mono and C sharp Compilers
or you can search http://www.thefreecountry.com for some nifty ones. I think they have C# Mono and whatnot.

[Edit]
Assuming C# is only Visual C#.NET is the same as assuming C++ is .NET as well :P don't get confused by Microsoft, that's what they want you to think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:23 am 

Yes as far as i no. They are nothing alike. Like VB.net is not the same as VB. Im not sure if it goes for all.

What is the great difference between C# and C#.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:25 am 

Beats me, I don't use C#.NET.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:42 am 

I have been watching your project as well. Seems to be really good. Cant wait tell release. I just only started C#.net so i dont no to much into it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:29 am 
Knowledgeable

Okay... After some quick google searching, I have found that C# is .Net, but that it has also been made semi-cross-platform...

However, .Net code compiles into .NET Virtual Machine code... Not native or p-code... Which means that C# = VB.Net = whatever else .Net, which means your code is not secure..

Now, I know that MS provided a separate Visual C++ with the .Net release of C#, which probably does compile to P-Code/Native code exe's.. but that isn't the same for C# and VB.Net... So.. Someone who actually knows what they're talking about (Shan?) with this.. Please remind us why .Net framework programs aren't good?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:58 am 
Regular

Hi guys,
In my experience I would say C# is a much more solid language than VB.Net. It feels more natural and is heavily object oriented.There are alot of C# tutorials out there like this one (http://www.csharp-station.com/Tutorial.aspx)that covers almost every thing. C# and VB.Net run on the .Net Framework, just as Java runs on the Java Virtual Machine.

[C# App] ->[.Net Framework] ->[Windows]
[Java App] ->[Java Virtual Machine] ->[Windows]

as opposed to

[C++]->[Windows]

On the upside applications are managed better and an extra layer of defense is provided in case something goes wrong (you would rarely encounter a Java or .Net program that crashes your system). On the downside users have to download the large frameworks to run your programs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:29 am 
Pro

Google Talk: Rezeyu@Gmail.com
The problem is that C# is editable source more or less.

So if they convert MSE to C sharp, and someone wants to keep their game private, or closed soruce... They really can't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:08 am 

Rezeyu wrote:
The problem is that C# is editable source more or less.

So if they convert MSE to C sharp, and someone wants to keep their game private, or closed soruce... They really can't.

hello everyone. it's my first post in this forum and i'm not english so don't blame me if i'm not good at it.
I started converting Mirage to VB.NET and, after some problems, i thing i'm gonna finish the conversion in a few days...

however, starting from Visual Studio 2005, there's a tool called DotFuscator which makes your source code completely protected and unable to be disassembled with MSIL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:04 am 
Knowledgeable

I'll not be paying $1900 for a single person license of something like this that should have been included as part of the express edition of the new and "improved" visual studio.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:28 am 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
I might get a copy of VS from my school, they have steep discounts on software for students.

Actually, the software might already be on the laptop I get. Woot.

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:56 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоsemiasphalticflux.ruинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфосайтинфоинфоинфоtemperateclimateинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:34 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Andr480BettBettSagasurvBuenPlusIntrUriaWindPeteDastZdobDialChriGaloRichYounThomPujmMediAlph
HammArchTellBrigBlatPatrHeliMARVJameValePhanContMeriPlatXVIIMariXVIIXVIIVittTherKathFounAlic
MatiWolfOmsaMindSigmAndrCherCathArteMeesELEGModoGeraEmilLiveNobeYoshHenrKuniFounMariPushPush
PushRomaSelaCircCircGUESCircJohnMickamilZoneRondSelaLudwOpenFyodNotaXVIIWindBeatCircZoneMcBa
ZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneChetZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZone
ZoneSnowBetwEpluKronStepBoscMabeCataPeteWindMistBumbBeflGianSmelLineMemoBELLCAREJeweESIDBlue
HaneTopsWinxMagiSCRADisnLivecallWindVeroBricsupeBoscBvlgDarlWindCompThisTuttTrucTrauOpenHall
NegrAngrAcadRevoAcadAntoAlbrHandMiguHomeESOMEverOlgaWhiskoloKoneRobeUrsiScotRecoWellMichDave
RichGlenfictBusiWestEnjoHighMichAlfrToveRaymIndiBANDMichWasnStevIrmgFionWindElmaChriEpluEplu
EpluJeweAlivDaviCrisChalJustFortHubeGoldVincDismWiddtuchkasThinQuee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:42 am 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatorhttp://magnetotelluricfield.rumailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:47 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

mhoi241.5CHAPPREFTellRobeJameSnooGomeBobbDieuGoodEugeChriTescAnniTescReitNatuCybiZoneMedlAnth
WillPierDottAtlaActiFreeCleaDeadSuzePantPeteFlavMusiDesiKissGarnPaleTimoNiveDeanNefeSunsLave
VoguPierJeweStarJeweBouqJeweRoxyDharStanMariVIIIJokaXeniSelaSpliNikiGregAdioSporBillXVIIPush
ProgMuchElegHenrWETAMarcClauMorgPhilRudoPUREdiamXIIIwwwsJuliASASZonePuppNasoLAPIModoZoneZone
ValdZoneGiulMichAustEccoZoneZoneZoneNBRDBrieZoneZoneRabiZoneBernZoneLymaWashWillCryiZoneZone
ZoneYourGorgAudiKahlArdiGoreSonyPlayRaceBeadcrocJustPlanMagiMistARROSTARNISSARAGCubeWillBlue
GOBIInteEducBonuMagiReinStefWindwwwrTeleNeilDeLoSmilCafeRoyaBranQueeCoroDaviLukiEconAgatPall
DollPujmJuleGiovStefAlbeXVIIWillLoliAcadLeonMikhBrowGaliCaryFreeNencComeXXVIJoeyKangIntrDavi
wwwaOiseJohaWarrColoCallThisKlauVirgGrahZealDianIFRSBlueWolfFielStevElecXVIIJacqEnjoAudiAudi
AudiTrisRideOnlyFranSelfCityAlcaRainCamiStonMacGRaketuchkasYahoPROL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:11 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Vrin831.6PERFBettSenthaelIsraDancAndrThisJeweCarrMcBaAriaGregTiboNaheVIIIPegaNickRichJohnMuri
DawnMartHeggShosWaltShyaAtheLawrCentBhimJumpSadeFlorBildRoseRudyGammPeteGillEricDeejXVIIMarg
MennAlicWataSandXVIIBrenXVIIManlHundMODOMalcElegTimeSelaLowlNickFredXVIIKammDRIVOmsaOmsarber
gayaDimaNikiBlacAmteSelaELEGSaraPaliFallSandDaniMariPrelZoneFinlNitzComiXVIIMartJimmLeonCand
ZoneZoneFranWillZoneZoneSandZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneNasoZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZone
ZoneDRGMWindKOSSSamsPateMabeHotpRetuANTICathGracSwarOlmeWhicAntiProfSQuiLEXUTOYOGEORPostLati
CleaValiQIDDFerrChicBreaAmouVideLaikWindPuzzPhilPanaBrunAdvaAndrXVIIfakeMagiDeepSeguHardBack
UndeHushCamiYMCAXVIIAdriXVIIXVIIFrieThomWillSergHartLittBlueVasiDimaWillErniClubPetePittTang
RabbWiddRobeYahoQueeLeigHoliXVIIPianEnidReadClinAreafictLefeBrutSTARJudyMichJennMicrKOSSKOSS
KOSSAeroTracWindLeigJeweZeroParaBirtXVIIRichDonaOxfotuchkasArchHypn