Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Scrolling Maps
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:28 am 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
So I asked this a few times now. But havnt gotten a good answer yet, or any at all really. What scrolling map code do you use? Who made it? I need one for k2h and I honestly dont know how to start it. So if anybody want to learn together or somebody want to teach me or something, or show me a url to a working one. That'd be great.

Post subject: Re: Scrolling Maps
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:33 am 
There is no fully finished tut. There never will be. But Misunderstood's tut is a very good optimization of Verrigan's original tutorial. That's the one I used for FPO.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:39 am 
Community Leader

Wanna url me? But I know Ive seen finished tuts out there before.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:41 am 
http://www.animerealm.co.uk/uploads/tut ... 0Maps.html

The scrolling part is finished, but the seamless isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:52 am 
Community Leader

I never really unerstood the difference. Seamless is when there is one big map? I dont want that, I just want the basic scrolling 40*40maps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm 
No, seamless is when npcs can transfer maps and such, I think. Or at least be able to see items, players, npcs, etc on the other maps.

As for 40x40, this works with w/e size your picscreen is. So your picscreen would have to be 1280x1280. That's a really big resolution that most people don't have, myself included. ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 pm 
Community Leader

I dont understand what you mean? Would I need that resolution for it to work?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:21 pm 
Persistant Poster

No will, once wanted scrolling maps like you want here, but it does add to the lag factor quite alot >.<

especialy with actions, dying can take like 5 seconds xD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:26 pm 
You can use the es scrolling with maps bigger than the picscreen, but not this system.

My maps fit to an 800x600 res.

And that's like 24x18 in map size.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:34 pm 
Community Leader

Hmm, but es scrolling can have any size of the picscreen? Thought I heared that or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:38 pm 
Pretty much. If you want to rip the code.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:59 pm 
Community Leader

Perfekt wrote:
Pretty much. If you want to rip the code.

I dont see any other choises.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:05 pm 
You do understand the ES system only scrolls for a little while then you hit the end of the map and it's like the default ms for transferring maps. But if you use the tut I posted, it's a never ending scrolling, unless you keep the bit of code Mis added to stop the scrolling if there is no map connected. But honestly, Verrigan has even told me it's not hard to finish the seamless, it's just time consuming. But it looks so much better in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:23 pm 
Community Leader

I just want something that works, Im trying to get my game up and running. And I dont have any experience in doing seamless scrolling. Ill try and rip es, how hard can it be.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:25 pm 
As bad as it's coded? Pretty damn hard. Going to be a lot of useless stuff involved.

Good luck. I personally wouldn't use the system. I had problems with it when I was testing Konfuze. =\

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:39 pm 
Knowledgeable

I tried their scrolling maps, if you have another person on the map with you, it lags like hell. Wouldn't recommend using it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:28 pm 
Submit-Happy

Their scrolling maps code is fine.

Of course, if you aren't gonna do a simple optimisation to the way it's loaded and blted, you're gonna lag like a penguin!

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:19 am 
Knowledgeable

Perfekt wrote:
There is no fully finished tut. There never will be.

Perfekt wrote:
As bad as it's coded? Pretty damn hard. Going to be a lot of useless stuff involved.

Good luck. I personally wouldn't use the system. I had problems with it when I was testing Konfuze. =\

Hypocrite. If it's so badly coded, do it better and make a tutorial about it. Also, if you had problems with it, it's probably your own fault, cause the scrolling stuff works 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:26 am 
Joost wrote:
Perfekt wrote:
There is no fully finished tut. There never will be.

Perfekt wrote:

Hypocrite. If it's so badly coded, do it better and make a tutorial about it. Also, if you had problems with it, it's probably your own fault, cause the scrolling stuff works 100%.

Stfu. I'm talking about when GSD and Fox and Unreal all had the ENGINE not the source out. I joined when they first released, just to help test. There was bugs. It's still buggy. I don't need to make it better and release a tut. I don't care. I was just trying to help William. So again, stfu. You annoying prick.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:35 pm 

Google Talk: sreepranav@gmail.com
What exactly is seamless scrolling maps? I didn't quite get what Fox was trying to say. Does that mean that you have on big map, or every little map is connected to form one large map, but you load all of them at the same time?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:53 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: rs.ruggles@gmail.com
Seamless scrolling loads 9 maps around you. True seamless would also load surrounding NPCs, players, and items, and allow npcs to walk from map to map. So far there is no full tutorial for seamless scrolling.

One big map would be sharding. Sharding only loads the tiles that are visible on the game screen. It is possible to combine seamless and sharding, so that only visible tiles from the 9 surrounding maps get loaded.

Elysium has more what I would call "camera scrolling". As the maps are too big for the screen, so it only scrolls when you leave one edge of the map.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:10 pm 
Sonire wrote:
Seamless scrolling loads 9 maps around you. True seamless would also load surrounding NPCs, players, and items, and allow npcs to walk from map to map. So far there is no full tutorial for seamless scrolling.

One big map would be sharding. Sharding only loads the tiles that are visible on the game screen. It is possible to combine seamless and sharding, so that only visible tiles from the 9 surrounding maps get loaded.

Elysium has more what I would call "camera scrolling". As the maps are too big for the screen, so it only scrolls when you leave one edge of the map.

Just so you know, Mis already combined that with the seamless. The tut he posted, which is a optimization of Verrigan's tut, only loads the tiles shown.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:30 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтsemiasphalticfluxсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтhttp://taskreasoning.ruсайтсайтсайтинфосайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:06 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Swee523.7BettBettXVIIBordHansFeliRaymMikaCarsShanTescDancLosiDaviAltuStuaStuaKervQueePierJere
ThunBillJeweFredIsadDoveJuddWhatJeweTangAmouWateJannMoveMortElleXVIIGreeKeeyBlacSaphMickWill
NiveThomChriHideMurrXVIIFathClauModoOsirFallELEGZdenCircVentSaifTracColiCORESoniMariCotoCoto
PushFunkSelaPhilClicSilvSelaTipsBostCircZoneRondRoxyZoneMoonJeweBoriTanbSideVagaTraiZoneXVII
ZoneZoneMORGZoneZoneZoneZoneABUDZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneLAPIZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneNasoZone
ZoneRoyaMettMPEGMABERichHotpZigmLawrProjLinuSpriDylaDumbAdriShinProtPierSTARSTARSympIntesmoo
MyloEyelTrefOverLegeMiniMegabookJeweMistShamUnitTefaChevPlanWindBobbSwinEricSimpThisMereSubl
YounAgatMichFranHolgKarlXVIIBodiDaviRabiSebaVadiButcDreaRiflLiveHowaHurlKennSpikTakePaulRuth
LighAllaCharrtscHeavIntrSoutArisStarwwwaBlasLIVEVillThomDonaIronThisTimeAutoFirsSmarMPEGMPEG
MPEGLuciLittJoseMicrLucyMadeWishDaviThisSallAndrOloftuchkasAdobVENO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:57 am 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.ruсайтmailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru