Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Willys' Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:47 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
For now, I will only setup the lists and such and and think of exactly what I will include in this tutorial. I have a couple of ideas on parts that can improve the speed. And we'll see if it turns out any good at all.

Idea 1
  • Hard Coded Items - Currently the items are loaded from a file server side. And each time a player logs into the game. The server sends all the item information to the client. But instead of sending them, I thought it would be better to skip the simple item editor and just hard code them into the game. The idea would be something like this, on both the server and client:
    Code:
    Item(1).Name = "Sword of everything"
            Item(1).Pic = 3
            Item(1).Type = ITEM_TYPE_WEAPON

This way the client will always have the information and no packets will be sent. Only the item number when needed.
    Idea 2
  • Hard Coded Items - The 2:nd idea if that instead of the server being the only part that has the items, the client could also posses them, and instead of letting the server send the information. The client just loads them from the item files in the Client. This is the easy and non time consuming way. Since it only includes the loading part and not much coding. But still it would make the server send less packets.

Post subject: Re: Willys' Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:49 pm 
William wrote:
For now, I will only setup the lists and such and and think of exactly what I will include in this tutorial. I have a couple of ideas on parts that can improve the speed. And we'll see if it turns out any good at all.

Idea 1
  • Hard Coded Items - Currently the items are loaded from a file server side. And each time a player logs into the game. The server sends all the item information to the client. But instead of sending them, I thought it would be better to skip the simple item editor and just hard code them into the game. The idea would be something like this, on both the server and client:
    Code:
    Item(1).Name = "Sword of everything"
            Item(1).Pic = 3
            Item(1).Type = ITEM_TYPE_WEAPON

This way the client will always have the information and no packets will be sent. Only the item number when needed.
    Idea 2
  • Hard Coded Items - The 2:nd idea if that instead of the server being the only part that has the items, the client could also posses them, and instead of letting the server send the information. The client just loads them from the item files in the Client. This is the easy and non time consuming way. Since it only includes the loading part and not much coding. But still it would make the server send less packets.

Wouldn't that make items really easy to hack?

Post subject: Re: Willys' Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:51 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
Not nesseccarily, you could always encrypt them on the 2:nd idea and such.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next