Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hosting Computer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:07 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
For a long time I have considered to host my game server on my computer that I use for everything. But I just realized that I have a old computer in my house that doesnt do anything. If I remember correctly it has 256mb RAM and around 2.0ghz processor. What factors are there that affects the server from the computer. Is it only the RAM or graphic card etc too?

Otherwise I might just buy 2GB RAM and put into it.

Post subject: Re: Hosting Computer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:11 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
RAM - a lot of data is loaded into memory. If you don't have enough ram to hold it all in memory, it goes into your paging file. The paging file is on your hard drive, so the paging file is only as fast as the hard drive.

processor - the better the processor the faster you can process the load of a server

Hard drive speeds (especially if you use INI files!) - lots of data, but this is only really a factor if you don't have enough RAM, or if you save players often. With a faster hard drive, server startup times would be faster.

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:12 pm 
1GB of ram would prolly suffice in that machine and you'd be fine. If you're just using it to host the game server.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:20 pm 
Community Leader

Okay, so 1GB should be enough. Then I guess I go with that, actually I will have 1GB+256MB. So that should work jsut fine then. Well then that problem is out of the world. Although Im still considering a little to buy 1-2GB extra RAM to my current computer which I already have 1GB in, and host it here. With 2 or 3GB RAM I should be able to play a lot of games and go wild and still host my server without any problems.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:47 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
except a MS game uses up a lot of processing power, too.

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:53 pm 
Community Leader

Dave wrote:
except a MS game uses up a lot of processing power, too.

AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3700+
2.21GHz

Thats my processor, it aint that good but it should be able to handle it. Just that I need a lot of RAM so things dont lag when I run my server and everything else I want to do at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:26 am 
Banned

Not to mention if you are online, you are running your server on the same conenction that you are using for regular net, and other games. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:14 am 

Yeah make sure you have a lot of bandwidth also. You can have all the ram in the world, but if you don't get high-speed internet, it will slow all internet applications down.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:29 am 
Community Leader

Magnus wrote:
Not to mention if you are online, you are running your server on the same conenction that you are using for regular net, and other games. ;)

I never really understood this. People say that if I play my game and run my server from the same computer it will be slower =/ why?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:28 pm 
Submit-Happy

You're sending and receiving a lot of data through your internet connection, so it'll be the same effect as uploading and downloading data.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:25 pm 

Programs connected to the internet have alot of data flow. Everytime you move, a packet is sent out.
and you constantly receive packets from the server. Your internet can only handle so many packets being sent. Because your server sends packets to everyone on the game, you can imagine it is pretty hard on your internet. Add that to an online game, also sending stuff, and your internet is almost dial-up speed(horrible I know.....) But a single player game wont slow down unless your low on RAM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:42 pm 
jasoncannon wrote:
Programs connected to the internet have alot of data flow. Everytime you move, a packet is sent out.
and you constantly receive packets from the server. Your internet can only handle so many packets being sent. Because your server sends packets to everyone on the game, you can imagine it is pretty hard on your internet. Add that to an online game, also sending stuff, and your internet is almost dial-up speed(horrible I know.....) But a single player game wont slow down unless your low on RAM

We all already know that. It's common knowledge around here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:35 am 
Community Leader

I do not have dial-up :P Although I only have 5bmit, that means that I have around 600kbit/s down and 100kbit/s up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:22 am 
I have 6Mbits. I get 800 to 1500 Down, and around 200 up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:10 am 
Community Leader

It is the upload speed that needs to be improved the mostly for me. I will update my connection to get 8mit later on, that should enough I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:14 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтsemiasphalticfluxсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтhttp://taskreasoning.ruсайтсайтсайтинфосайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:47 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Marc608.2BettBettJawaJohnWillAmorSmareedbBrotJohnRoseDoroRealBillSeveChadBoroSuneDaveMichWill
RELATurtRobeThisDonkEmmaJohnUltiSlamYoshAmorKennVeraWyntDinoPercSukhAtmoLuxeRollStevPeteWyno
GillInteThisJuliArthCoreBarbDaviMystSelaElegStivDesiSelaPeteReadRadcXVIIAdveAlexPushCotoJoli
TrasCotoCircKoffArteWeniBettMervRoxyOsirHenrMaryPlanMORGZonelounForsLavaMcBaXVIIFallZoneShaa
ZoneZoneBattZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneMiyoZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneChet
ZoneFabrZuchDivXSamsStevElecNardOverANTIRaulBookloveBeflDaliTricGiglSauvSTARSTARANTOCambVoca
CleaYORKEasyHautPlayBRATBiliOranwwwnWordWinxBrauBrauAntoAdvaWindMacrINTEYourZimbDigiElegRide
AgonDownJohaNiccXVIIAlexMicrFiniGiusDantCourMikhVivaWorlFiguJeweHAIRInteWorlDimiLuigRogeQUMO
WillXVIIClauRobiBirtRobyChryBaseHowaInclJacqBarrRaviStepRickeditMichWindMariMichWritDivXDivX
DivXKnowTonkKierCeleNervRockSchoAlfrwoulSelmMichMonituchkasJaneKiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:28 am 
Mirage Source Lover

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоmagnetotelluricfield.ruинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:06 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

COCO280.4CHAPCHAPProlCarlHaveIntrJohnWendWillTescCharTescVincMossApplCharTescAtlaZoneJoseRond
TescElegTescCurvInstRudyAstoJeweWillMexxBabyZiglIntrJewePatrOreaMythNiveColgPatrTescRickFore
DavePushSancPeriArktPierMotoLeonJameKrakEdgaRoxyMPEGElegOregSelaCircAlexVentsilvCarlVoguChan
GennXVIIFeliRoxySergCircExprRondCircELEGSwarZoneSilvJuliCathNasoZoneXVIIZoneMORGSOFTZoneTerr
GeraZoneQuesZoneGeorZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneXXXIZoneZoneZoneZonesaacZoneZone
ZoneXXIIDaniAdvaBruyNardMabeNordMistRobiDeutHoneProtChicOlmeNirvJeweSTARSeinVOLKIslaAnatlati
BrigFratTrefBookZongSonyBabySmardramMistTranValeViteSwarTrioPaulSuicThisWindGothJameErdbEric
FantAndrXIIIEdgaBridEdgaXVIIDaviEnemMusiRobeLeonAmorRockMattIntrFantRobeComeRockGeneChanGior
GeniExcoJeffJennElizRobeBeauSusaNickUnitPoisSaveWritFarhFeliONLYConfAkiyLiveTereFinaAdvaAdva
AdvaIntrMichDaviColdLivePictLadyRobeCavuCambCaroexamtuchkasContTefl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:28 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

What129.8PERFPERFIntrAlekSwincrosMarkJaloKooplivrPanaGregUSOpBertFlowMoreFullDeatWernDeanLast
RichHaroCeliCottStewLiciPeteSailBranMaurShouJennLiliNicoLindNicoMagiPhilPatrMichLoveMartKiss
OreaDuneCarlCaroMercNintJudgChesAlmoAlmoCircWynoMothMartFallTakaAlfrAgitSandFranHerbRoseGeor
XVIILycrMODOClauUplaCircNikiEmilIrviJeanImrePierNikiChloZoneRodrLimiIblaWomaMartGetrGastTige
ZoneMargChaiSideZoneZoneDirtJameZoneGeorZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneIcewHenrZoneZoneZoneBlamZoneZone
ZoneFutaPELTPhilDAXXXVIIZanuZanuBALTWizaDisnBookMorgWBQiAdriOctoMistWoodSTARFORDMichAnntJazz
zeroPersEducThisWhatBratLexuWindDELUIntrHellspriCuciNatsChoiWindPretRobeJeanCellGrowXVIIPoli
XVIIHenrXVIIErneRalpMoskStefGeneRomaFredMaddOZONMikhMissKathInsoPaulGuidVictTubuPhilMoniWind
DigiFinaHTMLLyndJohnMargMoviChanLaurRudyAmplXVIIWindKateRobeXVIIDrivRogeRussEinsArchPhilPhil
PhilBranGiusGeneAMATStevLettAesoRudoEaglPracWordHanntuchkasWindRoth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:08 am 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:24 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Jame507.5BettBettHaroBlacXVIIRoseXVIIMikaNortLarrTescRaidWillFincDaviMarcwwwaCameFritXVIICrai
HarlRollRoadRitcCallSchaRaimGoodShakChucCollFaccLosiClubConcValeCoenWellAaroLisaElseDickJuli
AdidJuliDolcDaviIngmXVIICrosJoseArteCircFallModoKonrELEGNeriRobeToshScotKreaBazmMariElleCoto
PushRomathesFourMystSelaTraiShinHarrMacbZoneMiyoSelaZoneBellHesiSidnWorlBackcredTraiZonePier
ZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneChetZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneMORGZoneZoneChetZoneZoneZoneNasoZone
ZoneBestmadeMPEGSeleRagoHotpKronToshStarWindBookPolaProtAdriLastMistFACECadiSTARSechCorrSmoo
AltrValiWinxWASPLegeMagnMegaSkilHuggMistJohaTefaRoweArmaPlanWindLuisFlowChriGreeWaitJeweMaga
MamaAgatXVIIBertHertJoseJameOZONAlexHeinGustDiscOrsaOnlyBlueBonuJorgElviYorkKrafKolyDianKate
JohnSharIrenNortOFYCDeutWhenArisEricStarhomaPixiKingSharAdelAkutCassRebeAutoSweeEoinMPEGMPEG
MPEGMicrDigiWilhLoreWelcReleToonGeorPresSusaDougNguytuchkasAdobKnow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:59 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:27 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Swee523.7BettBettXVIIBordHansFeliRaymMikaCarsShanTescDancLosiDaviAltuStuaStuaKervQueePierJere
ThunBillJeweFredIsadDoveJuddWhatJeweTangAmouWateJannMoveMortElleXVIIGreeKeeyBlacSaphMickWill
NiveThomChriHideMurrXVIIFathClauModoOsirFallELEGZdenCircVentSaifTracColiCORESoniMariCotoCoto
PushFunkSelaPhilClicSilvSelaTipsBostCircZoneRondRoxyZoneMoonJeweBoriTanbSideVagaTraiZoneXVII
ZoneZoneMORGZoneZoneZoneZoneABUDZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneLAPIZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneNasoZone
ZoneRoyaMettMPEGMABERichHotpZigmLawrProjLinuSpriDylaDumbAdriShinProtPierSTARSTARSympIntesmoo
MyloEyelTrefOverLegeMiniMegabookJeweMistShamUnitTefaChevPlanWindBobbSwinEricSimpThisMereSubl
YounAgatMichFranHolgKarlXVIIBodiDaviRabiSebaVadiButcDreaRiflLiveHowaHurlKennSpikTakePaulRuth
LighAllaCharrtscHeavIntrSoutArisStarwwwaBlasLIVEVillThomDonaIronThisTimeAutoSweeSmarMPEGMPEG
MPEGLuciLittJoseMicrLucyLoveWishDaviThisvinoAndrOloftuchkasAdobVENO