Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MySQL vs Oracle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:43 pm 
Knowledgeable

Google Talk: matt.nwachukwu@gmail.com
Before I start, I couldn't find a forum that was fit for debate, other than spammy Off Topic, and I didn't want to put this there. If it belongs there, or anywhere else then please, move it and PM me of the newer location.
-------------------------------------------------
My school doesn't offer a course to teach MySQL. However, they do offer a database programming course. Oracle. I asked my teacher her oppinion on MySQL vs Oracle. She said if it wasn't for her, they would have gotten a MySQL course.

With this said, after I finish the course, I can take a test for some sort of certification by Oracle. I'm still looking up locations to be certified by Microsoft, blah blah.

Anyways. With this said, I want to know... For programming, any king of programming - websites, software, and all - Which would be a better 'wrapper', I should say, to apply the SQL in programming.

If there is no difference, then please, lock this thread. If differences persist, could anyone explain it to me?

Post subject: Re: MySQL vs Oracle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:52 pm 

Oracle has its place...in big business...but for most projects. MySQL will work just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:00 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: blackagesbr@gmail.com
Oracle is big things, like SqlServer. But in our cases, MySql handles it just great and does not require any ubber computer xD

GameBoy wrote:
www.FreeMoney.com
I admit I clicked. I immediately closed upon realizing there was, in fact, no free money.
Robin wrote:
I love you and your computer.Marry me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:38 pm 
Knowledgeable

So, from what I'm seeing here is Oracle > MySQL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:55 pm 

Not really...totally depends on what you are trying to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:24 pm 
Knowledgeable

In the end, for small projects, they're all the same. One may be able to do function X at y% faster than database Z, but you're really comparing stuff that takes very little time as it is. They are all fast, they are all powerful, as long as you are using them for what they are intended to be used for in the correct manner.

What defines the differences are what they can do on a more business-oriented position. Synchronizing databases for back-ups, security, tools, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:16 am 
Knowledgeable

Well, I've got my answer. Thank you.

Anyone can lock this, now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:13 am 

what it really comes down to does the database support what you need

MySQL 5.X Supports Triggers and Functions but does have a few issues with the ADO currently. (Yes it works but advance stuff it will have issues with)

MySQL 4.1 does not support Triggers and Functions.

At work with out software we use SyBase which supports triggers and functions. And they really do help alot. You can use triggers to delete records or modify or update etc... records in another table when you do something with your current table. There are all sorts of things you can do to make things more effecient.

So figure out your needs and go from there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:16 am 
Persistant Poster

LMFAO.

Don't use oracle. Just don't.

I've been working with mysql, mssql, and oracle for 3 months now and Oracle is a pile of shit. mysql = win. mssql = -.-. oracle = FAIL.

Srsly, why would you even CONSIDER using that shit. Customers pay us thousands a year to support it, no fucking idea why its the biggest pile of shit i have ever used.

Oracle is only big things because it is big money, its a slow stupid overly complicated pile of trash - the same goes for mssql.

MySql seriously beats them both - for speed, and for reliability.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:45 pm 
Knowledgeable

Its never as simple and clear as that, and to think it is would be quite ignorant. MySQL is intended for small and medium sized databases, and database benchmarks never serve the same meaning as a real-world application since typically your database isn't even the bottleneck.

Find one you like, whether its MSSQL, MySQL, Postgre, Oracle, SQLite, etc, make sure it suits your needs and use it. For anything less than half a GB of data and/or performing less than one query a second, you shouldn't even care what database you're using as long as it works.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:10 pm 
Persistant Poster

Spodi wrote:
Its never as simple and clear as that, and to think it is would be quite ignorant. MySQL is intended for small and medium sized databases, and database benchmarks never serve the same meaning as a real-world application since typically your database isn't even the bottleneck.

Find one you like, whether its MSSQL, MySQL, Postgre, Oracle, SQLite, etc, make sure it suits your needs and use it. For anything less than half a GB of data and/or performing less than one query a second, you shouldn't even care what database you're using as long as it works.

No, its simple and clear. I work with all 3 every day, mssql and oracle = slowdowns, complications, complaints and a kingsize pain in the fucking arse.

Mysql, suprisingly, fantastic. BT use mysql, and they have 80,000 sites in their database - no problems. They enquired about mssql 2005, we upgraded their database - slowdowns, random fuckups; no thanks.

Oracle isn't even worth mentioning, its a pile of trash.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:43 pm 
Knowledgeable

If it was that clear, you wouldn't see them still circulating, would you? MySQL definitely dominates on accessibility and ease of implementation, so for people to use other ones... there must be a reason, right?

Just switching databases isn't a valid test in the slightest unless you are testing that specific query, which is not often the case as you often only care about the answer, not the question. On a very basic level, one database may perform "SELECT * ..." faster than "SELECT name ..." when all you need is "name". This means one is going to remain unoptimized with that query, which means your programming is biased towards one test and not the other.

MySQL is far from bad, I am not saying it is bad nor even the best option in many cases, but there are times where others perform better. Your experiences may tell you otherwise, which isn't something to be unexpected, but you can't just assume that just because of this one instance, MySQL is hands-down the best. For this case, in this database setup, using these queries - yes, you found out it is best. Thats it. Best, for that case.

So BT uses MySQL. Know who uses MSSQL? Oh gee, maybe Microsoft? Oracle? Amazon.com. But I guess these people don't have big enough sites... oh no wait, scratch that. I guess they just don't know what they're doing and have never tested the other databases since I doubt its part of their job or even small differences can save or cost tens of thousands of dollars, if not more, for the company. Yup, definitely can't be it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:07 pm 
Persistant Poster

Spodi wrote:
If it was that clear, you wouldn't see them still circulating, would you? MySQL definitely dominates on accessibility and ease of implementation, so for people to use other ones... there must be a reason, right?

Just switching databases isn't a valid test in the slightest unless you are testing that specific query, which is not often the case as you often only care about the answer, not the question. On a very basic level, one database may perform "SELECT * ..." faster than "SELECT name ..." when all you need is "name". This means one is going to remain unoptimized with that query, which means your programming is biased towards one test and not the other.

MySQL is far from bad, I am not saying it is bad nor even the best option in many cases, but there are times where others perform better. Your experiences may tell you otherwise, which isn't something to be unexpected, but you can't just assume that just because of this one instance, MySQL is hands-down the best. For this case, in this database setup, using these queries - yes, you found out it is best. Thats it. Best, for that case.

So BT uses MySQL. Know who uses MSSQL? Oh gee, maybe Microsoft? Oracle? Amazon.com. But I guess these people don't have big enough sites... oh no wait, scratch that. I guess they just don't know what they're doing and have never tested the other databases since I doubt its part of their job or even small differences can save or cost tens of thousands of dollars, if not more, for the company. Yup, definitely can't be it.

Statistics, facts, whatever - it means nothing to me. I work with this all day, 5 days a week; if you think you know better than grats, but srsly, mysql or nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:23 pm 
Pro

80,000 sites... You think that's a lot?

GameBoy wrote:
www.FreeMoney.com
I admit I clicked. I immediately closed upon realizing there was, in fact, no free money.
Robin wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:22 am 
Persistant Poster

Dragoons Master wrote:
80,000 sites... You think that's a lot?

Considering theres about 15k tables with godknows how many columns per site, yes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:37 am 
Pro

Still nothing. MSSql data bases are for millions. A MySql db can't handle that much.

GameBoy wrote:
www.FreeMoney.com
Robin wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:42 am 
Persistant Poster

'ok'. Whatever, I'll go back to fixing heap of trash databases and you guys go back to whatever it is you do.

~

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:23 am 

how much of that data is blobs? I work with both SyBase and MySQL daily. Personally for commercial I like Sybase better for the type of data we used it for. we got datacenters using our software with over 450,000 items in their datacenter. Now this is just the items this doesnt even include all the other crap that is stored in the DB. Including connections work orders etc...

We tryed MySQL.... It failed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:30 pm 
Persistant Poster

Psychoboy wrote:
how much of that data is blobs? I work with both SyBase and MySQL daily. Personally for commercial I like Sybase better for the type of data we used it for. we got datacenters using our software with over 450,000 items in their datacenter. Now this is just the items this doesnt even include all the other crap that is stored in the DB. Including connections work orders etc...

We tryed MySQL.... It failed.

Then you fail tbh =P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:20 am 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.ruсайтsemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoningtechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.ruhttp://temperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:34 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Dong172.4CHAPReprJaroAshlBlacStepShadEpicBradBlacOrieStriFiskPiecTemaRediStayRuleSundspecRyan
RozaGlobBabywwwiWindOZONEdwaKaspMargAloeRichLatiPlacSplaVamoThorMakiMaryJaniSquaOZONonliKoyh
SaraZoneStepAlesJuleGabrBeveFallSlanXVIIFaraErstMornSainJameJeanXIIIVincPresMarcMircFirsSide
WindAllaHermXVIIWindNeutWindAlexJameCircResaBattSoviZoneRVKVKeepWhatHollJuleSideFeatJacuJame
MounZoneWillThisMediZoneLoisVindRichBagdZoneZoneWestZoneZoneModePierZoneZoneAlieWindFrieBill
PeckdireSaraAudiAJKrSpecMielKronPanaGeomBookBookELITPolaJardLandMWUnBeflSuprAUTOTallObtaProg
PastBeagEditDaviBontBontJeweWindWindXVIIFishMoulTurbSweeBritJohaDickFranAntoDurcBossVIIIHarr
FlyiPujmAufbGaryVIIIAcadknowToucWaveBallLondOlegPianComeHakaDareSysyMarkLiveKiroNatuWolfJoli
CharRobeNapoHappChasorigWindEverPaulLittMobsJudySimsSydnAndrJoliReadMicrWereXVIIEmilAudiAudi
AudiJohnICNAAdamKohnSusaWelcThanNancpuzzwwwrDianArnotuchkasGregEliz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:33 am 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatorhttp://magnetotelluricfield.rumailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:28 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Lexu466BettBettCommVADIPlayChinMoveDancSOCOMcBaEGSiChatDickPatrDagmSergRoseAllaJackrderReco
StomRobeJellSusaVladPatrKyleLateRKelPresDopeAvroEtieVictFranRossAlphAldoPatrMeliBeecRobeRich
FranHettThisCentXVIIFausJoshJuliELEGReviModoMODORogeErneTraiRoxySomeMalcProdBarbTrasFunkCoto
OmsaSnowSelaCircHenrELEGCircAlfrGirlPaliZoneRondSelaGeorLimbMikaFredLudwShakJeweTraiZoneMill
ZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZonediamZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZone
ZoneJohnqFRuMPEGKronShagBoscBoscCataMageDigiBookEdmiLoveRosePentPoweFILDSTARCAREcoloExceSoul
IremMilaWinxJohnZebuDeLuPuzzInteXVIIBOWRLegoSupeBoscChouRoyaWindNottAutoOZONProoHeavKansDown
JewePagaXVIIJordCorbWindXVIIHenrHoraBalkBertWilhRichThatTubtCentFranFedeFaitGlynKlauIndiwwws
WillLateTitoJoelRudoNameDeepMartWindStepWhitWhatRaouToveSwiaPockSpliLouiBookSusaThemMPEGMPEG
MPEGIronPlayCompichiTeseGermGeorMaryathaGeorLindPinktuchkasSusaBest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:03 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Summ205.3CHAPImagAnjaFannRockGordEsmaPeteRuthProvMartCherPaulKongXVIIFondPelhMixeXVIIFondRond
JuliFendWallPINEWindSchuTrimCharRobbVinoTurnUnliAndaCigaMoscNiveMaryAnatGreaClanEverWhatClub
SupeArthCrasUndePushPeteRazeHappGeorRougrockVashLucaCampJohnOverCarnmattIainCharAndaJeweReco
WindManhSzepCallErneWindPuruMighMicrLateHeinWindhiddHaveArtsPiesMileHistArtsDaviJimmIndoArts
FuxiJeweFuxiPSALRHINXVIIDaviDiffCarlLogiRobeHearOrigremiSmarCombPremElisDickTuliIntrVideTama
DigiEtaiOpaqAXISBarbRagoSamsAtlaAgneCatialwaSQuiKeepChicConvLineSlowBeflBluePROTRajnpocaJazz
SweeEducBeadMariLexuPatrJeweWindWindWindJesuDeLoTefaSecrPlanHereCyclWestPremIIthNellWreaScra
XVIIFranWolfJamewwwmSusaCorpThomRubrXVIIBrioYevgShinIntrRondClocMannDaviluxuMartSuriIntrYeze
DragThomSonyEnjoLindJamewwwbJeweJeffWondwwwaMichFranDaviWindBallDaviFernVIIIgoveDaviAXISAXIS
AXISSoliActiMoonostiEdwaConcConcRodnGiusJeffminuWilltuchkasHritAstr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:19 am 
Mirage Source Lover

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо