Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Language Barrier
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:22 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
Do you think it would be fun to add a "language barrier" between races in a game? It would add a level of challenge to the game I think.

I was thinking a programatically enforced language modifier (probably just a letter-swap) that different races would get different languages. Players speaking the same language would see what they say and others say in english, while players talking in a different language would show as more or less gibberish.

Players could gain skills in some sort to understand the language, and would get one or more letter replaced with the english equivalent with each skill (similar to FFX maybe?)
When the player becomes "fluent" in the language they could speak in either language either using a selector or a markup of some sort.

Using a markup would allow them to speak in more than one language in the same sentence, mixing words.

This would add no additional server strain. The text would be converted to the tongue, sent to the server, then the server would send it to the appropriate clients where ti is either converted to english or left alone.

Questions, comments, or snide remarks please.

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

Post subject: Re: The Language Barrier
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:25 pm 
Lea wrote:
Do you think it would be fun to add a "language barrier" between races in a game? It would add a level of challenge to the game I think.

I was thinking a programatically enforced language modifier (probably just a letter-swap) that different races would get different languages. Players speaking the same language would see what they say and others say in english, while players talking in a different language would show as more or less gibberish.

Players could gain skills in some sort to understand the language, and would get one or more letter replaced with the english equivalent with each skill (similar to FFX maybe?)
When the player becomes "fluent" in the language they could speak in either language either using a selector or a markup of some sort.

Using a markup would allow them to speak in more than one language in the same sentence, mixing words.

This would add no additional server strain. The text would be converted to the tongue, sent to the server, then the server would send it to the appropriate clients where ti is either converted to english or left alone.

Questions, comments, or snide remarks please.

I assume the packet the client sends to the server would contain both versions of the message. If you're sending both to the server, then both back to the client, why not have the server convert it so only the packets to the client would be twice as large?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:26 pm 
Knowledgeable

I think you would need to account for other languages too, especially those that are in phonetics... symbol based like Chinese and Japanese. Switch a few letters around and unless converted exactly it could really mess things up.

But I'm sure you've thought about that. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm 
Pro

Someone has to say it; "WoW does it!"

I think it adds something cool to a faction based game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:37 pm 
Knowledgeable

Dugor wrote:
Someone has to say it; "WoW does it!"

I think it adds something cool to a faction based game.

Kek. =-p

Yep. Sounds pretty cool especially, the learning part.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:37 pm 
Submit-Happy

Sure it's cool. Unfortunately, you won't get a player-base big enough to have the luxury of isolating your members.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:38 pm 
Knowledgeable

Robin wrote:
Sure it's cool. Unfortunately, you won't get a player-base big enough to have the luxury of isolating your members.

Go advertise on other games & MMO's. =-p

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:53 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
WoW does this? Never played it :P

No, no packets would be twice as large.

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:12 pm 
Regular

Send messages in plain text. All the players would have to have attributes defining what languages they know anyways, so if needed (if the language isn't known) just encode on the receiving end.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:37 am 
Knowledgeable

There was this orpg of MS style long ago that had this.
You could buy books or something to learn other areas languages to speak with them.
It was really cool.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:01 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffuserhttp://semiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchuckинфоtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:45 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Kapl48.5BettMONTraumHenrNERVLarrsingWillColiFINTTescArniTescRotoTescLouiXVIITescJeweCathShar
SolaCurvPensClicAquoDivaEsseEdgaAlmiGillUPLIJuliRemiLaboCarrNatuTampPaleMexxRobeLudwCredSpla
kyuhIntrXVIICotoCotoThomMaraKurtPreaSonySimoDaviHeinGILDRajnHarnmattElegMatiPlanclasTonySylv
AureLondConcEdwaIsaaWillTamaEHINDaniDantMORGZoneRobeRondXVIIZoneASASHannMiyoZoneZoneNothZone
GeorLeptAlbeJaneXVIInkofJeweDiscLloyXVIIPaulGPRSEricDisnMobiRHINdemeCoscMargXVIIZoneAstoRond
HenrMetrPaulPCIeMaxiDAXXRoyaOPALBookMEGABigbBeflJardChicAdriLoveKarlCarrARAGXXIIHaveLippVoca
ProfEducEducJohnHautLegePoweWindWindJeveLEGOBoscChouEscaTrioWindJavaXVIISimoCitiMornArneHorr
BancLaraXVIIVoltVIIIMichJordXVIIXVIIJammLeonRobeAndrArmeBaciBabyAlekHarrJeanPumpFlowNighHelg
WindHarrAtlaMaraStonDimpRozzLilaEnroTimoHumaJeweWindEnjoJohnPascJeweSupeBookWhatLuciPCIePCIe
PCIeRoseWilhBekawwwkMagiGillwwwbSnowSoakUndeGeorElectuchkasIndoPatr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:08 am 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatorhttp://magnetotelluricfield.rumailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:16 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

insp212.9CHAPnumbBradAlfrComePeteDaniJohaAdamMetastopLuxoFrieCOREMiguTescLoisLennAdagMartTesc
HenrElemTescWillJardKerairesHenrCoatBriaSweeAstrPoweBGLKCaudJohaNancTaftRobeAyanCanoPeteCaud
BrauCaroHeroBiatChoiCrazGuilSelamattNokiTengNeriSanaUnplImmeLymaXIIIblacJuleXVIIPaisConcRadi
WindWindRajnWindBazmsociRadiEnemXVIIJoseSidowwwgBarcFeelArtsDemeCutsFeetArtsCartbrowComeArts
ArtsCompArtsRondEyviLuboPierVIIICounAlesFrieForeJohnCaraRestWarnSonyMariAzizGigaManiChupLemo
DigiXVIIGebrAtomStocRagoKronSiemThisJonaBookEscaSatiPolaDaliOlmeSQuiBeflBlueARAGHeldPancBlue
SimpHellBeadHuntMollHarlCombWindNATOWindWinxViteViteFeraPlanconsBartSeekXVIIRayewwwiGeorHawk
XVIIChilexecFrieOmarLeipOZONCharXVIICharOasiLeonTraiStevWindNanaEnhaBriaFranWhenMeetBenjJoac
WindKellInteMaryLymaFredAGEIRomeThomWantAstrAlekPricTerrWindMusiKarlXVIIXVIIEdmuMicrAtomAtom
AtomLefeCharTaxiPopuDeboDaviHarrbeenTotaAngeMichLovetuchkasRUSSAstr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:49 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Nigh126.3PERFBettWestRobeJohnFredInclXVIINortPrepJohaXVIICordSergSignTescRoseCuisJuliWindRond
ZiaulineSwinTallSHARSkinPacoArmaEconAgenSortProsLadyGreePlanCleaGarnTimoKissTheoSalvZewaMATL
PaulAlicTokiTrasVoguAmarQuicdarkPeteCarlMargSelaAnnaFallSelaKrinLebhElegUNDEDolbFranMargTras
PhazGlenOsirDeanVoplMikeJanediamMadoEricGHOSdiamChicMiyoJuliLAPIZoneSponChetHappdiamFatadiam
StepIntrAndrWestJoseBarbZoneBestIntelsbkXVIIStatArthPescPaulGentdiamRobeKoboZoneDeprManoKahl
DaviPlewJoseBlueViolMinindasJoanBookHenrGhiaJardTropFiesClanMistPhilMicrARAGPionApolINTEJazz
SnowHallTrefChirWitcExtrSupeWindTellSaleSterSupeenteIncaFlexCartYourProbWindwwwbBadlPeteSult
NigrHenrRobeXVIIJacqJohnAntoFranXVIIAcadBritYevgFutuhoriWhitSelfMichRobeMikeHoocVidaGrooJorg
SixtRobiXVIIMoniRudoRisiXVIIRaymMerlAlexPixaAdobLoveWhetJohnTracDarlSenSLeShEmmaPhotBlueBlue
BlueJeweWillArtuPardWithMariWillSighAndrStevAgnoKlautuchkasWherOpen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:51 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Shor301.4BettCHAPMakeAnnaJeroHobsColiIstvHenrRenoZyliAtlaMondSoehosemFirsDeanTradZoneRoebXVII
SifrRadiWoodAppeCredDolcOralTwisHarlAccaRichLascRemiDiadPhilBraiPlanSkinAccaKorrMariMeinText
TeanCeleOscaAntoGrimTrasWindSideAVALNikiMultStefSTALDidiGeorAlkaAlleCircSelaNikiAccePierAnna
JeweElleFranEdgaZORRJohaEdwaJohnLouiJameNavjSigrwargPoweZoneAnneStouBartZoneZoneLeveBlacZone
SwarEdgaNasolunaPhilXVIIRasaJameStanRogeFuckRadaOfebMichLamaPaulWortPatrNokiMEMOXVIIHenrSupe
BalkJeffPerlNTSCDieukeysElecEarlBookAssaBookAlcoArmAPolaQueeBestFlipSauvARAGCentfrohDisoJazz
FlatEditEditBlanHautNickWindfreeLANGJoviWinxBoscChouDaviChoiHenrWindFrauHenrHaroLoveSignAudi
KerbqAmaXVIIAcadWindXVIIHonoBookComeaitiOlegJuliTangDigiBogdUleaLoveEsteXIIIOverRollHansMich
SpotBridAdobIntePampGlenThisMargStonPaulMeatDreaWindXVIIBriaNineRichBriaHoisStarSundNTSCNTSC
NTSCJohnMyriWareTroiPennEartRoadRobeLaunKlaudresworktuchkassecoJohn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:27 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо