Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Server Spec Help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:32 am 
Regular

I'm curious if someone here could help me on something. I was wondering if a server with these specs could host a game off of Mirage Source4 with 100-120 people.

Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz +
512 MB RAM
750 GB Bandwidth

Post subject: Re: Server Spec Help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:31 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
You lack some RAM, but sure it could work. But you need to improve the game unless you use MS4.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:00 pm 
Knowledgeable

Yes. I plan to get a windows 98 or XP (NOT VISTA EVER). And fill with as much ram as possible. I want to try to get it to at least 2 Gig

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:36 pm 
Regular

Ok then, I guess this would be much better?

Athlon64 X2 2.20GHz
2GB RAM
Data Transfer Rate: 1000 Mbps

That allot better?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:54 pm 
Knowledgeable

1 gig is alright. just get urself another 512MB. If you get some more extra money, add more. You want your players to have as less lags as you can get. Don't starve yourself of money. The reason I want 2 gig is because I have a bunch of old Ram card thingys lying around

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:50 pm 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
Why not use a server version of windows, or at least windows 2000? Use a lightweight windows so more time can be spent on your game.

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:55 pm 
Knowledgeable

Yeah. I already have a melenium I'm using for the server now for 8 Bit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:06 pm 
Regular

Would Windows ME be better for hosting the server than XP or Vista? Or should I try to get Win 2000 Server Edition?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:37 pm 
Knowledgeable

DarkC wrote:
Would Windows ME be better for hosting the server than XP or Vista? Or should I try to get Win 2000 Server Edition?

I suggest Win 2000 Server Edition. But if you can't get ahold of a copy, use ME or XP. never use vista. Just don't lol. Vista takes over 400mb of memory to use on graphics.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:46 pm 
Regular

Vista basic uses a good 500mb ram any other vista uses from 700-1200mb ram

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:47 pm 
Regular

Alright, thanks for all the help. ^^

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:31 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: rs.ruggles@gmail.com
Vista runs on 256MB of RAM. That's the minimum requirement to install it (And the basic Vista runs great on 256MB of RAM). Windows ME...Seriously, don't use this OS EVER. For ANYTHING. I suggest vista over ME any day. Anyone that doesn't has clearly never used ME.

But honestly, XP Pro is probably the best option. It's easy, and uses relatively minimal resources. I imagine Windows Server 2003 Edition would work well too, but I haven't used it so I couldn't really tell you much about it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:05 pm 
The host Verrigan got for FPO is Windows 2k3 and it's fuckin' great. 64bit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:22 am 
Knowledgeable

Don't _Ever_ use ME, Windows 2K7 would be the best option if you really think you'll attract 100-200 users ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:35 pm 
Reece wrote:
Don't _Ever_ use ME, Windows 2K7 would be the best option if you really think you'll attract 100-200 users ;)

There is no Windows 2k7.

There's Windows 2k3.

And Windows 7. Which is still a beta.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:29 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: hpmccloud@gmail.com
Why not ever use Vista? I think people just say not to use it to agree with somebody they know to try to be cool.

I have Vista on my laptop. It runs like a beauty. I was hosting 2 servers (Mirage Realms and my game's test server) and I had a VNC open and MSN and GTalk and so on and it was running nice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:50 pm 
Knowledgeable

I tried Vista for a month and thought that it was just another product that Microsoft released to hold the place a please the people sueing them for Piracy, it is a Mac just less functional; I did not like having to download a plugin for almost every single game I play(since 1998 and further back) I had trouble getting my server to stay active, the computer I had it on I turned into a strictly server host. So I bought and downgraded to windows xp pro... This is a more properly executed OS. I think Windows 7 might be as good as XP because it is not a forced release to avoid lawsuits.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:10 pm 
Knowledgeable

DarkX wrote:
I tried Vista for a month and thought that it was just another product that Microsoft released to hold the place a please the people sueing them for Piracy, it is a Mac just less functional; I did not like having to download a plugin for almost every single game I play(since 1998 and further back) I had trouble getting my server to stay active, the computer I had it on I turned into a strictly server host. So I bought and downgraded to windows xp pro... This is a more properly executed OS. I think Windows 7 might be as good as XP because it is not a forced release to avoid lawsuits.

I agree totally.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:12 pm 
Vista was forced? O.o

It was built off of Windows 2k3..

It's not a mac. *shakes head* Windows 7, looks like a fucking Mac..

Vista is very functional. My brother, doing the same things as I have been lately, using Windows XP Pro, has had to redo his windows 6 times in a week. I've not redone Vista in months.

When I do redo it, it's because I have so much shit that I don't need, and I'm too lazy to just remove it myself. I just format. XD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:17 pm 
Knowledgeable

Sorry Matt, I was meant to say windows 2k8 xD

Vista isn't that bad, it's not as good as XP, but Vista didn't have Windows ME in comparison >.<

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:21 pm 
Persistant Poster

Well, here's what I learnt from my experience.

CPU power = lol. Of all the time I've ran a server, I think it went to 3% once. To be fair, the most people I've ever recorded online at once was 32.. but still, 3% - and that was with them all spamming the hell out of... everything rly.

Ram is pretty much the same, I won't spend £400 on an MS Server again because.. well that's a lie I probably will, but if all it is doing is running your server executable and nothing else... anything newer than 3 years old is overkill, bigtime xD

Oh to answer your question - Those specs you posted initially will be fine. Random people here might speculate, but in reality an MS server does very little to a machines resources, if that is all it is doing.

Net speed however, that is where you will get your lags etc. I'm on 28mb broadband.. heh... but I've ran the server machine (which I ended up simultaneously using as a hardcore torrent box xD) with all its torrents and the Server application, counterstrike, my flatmate torrenting, and its been fine.. if you are on 2mb broadband and the server is all you are running (no online gaming etc at the same time) it'll be alright, otherwise should you start getting say 10+ people on at once, and you are playing counterstrike on another machine on the same connection, everyone will suffer.

oh wait 100-120 people?

Then no it won't. Dual core, and m0ar rams, like, 64 bit xp and 4 gigs worth. Ram is the one thing I could see getting eaten on my lil tests, every time someone joins, lil bit more ram got eaten - 512 won't be enough for 100 people, not near enough.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:58 pm 
Submit-Happy

Are you honestly saying people will use around 5mb of memory each? xD

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:08 am 
Persistant Poster

Nah but every time someone disconnected they left a itty bitty kittyloaf in mai memory, so I reakon if your at 100 players, it means people will be coming and going v.regularly, thus unless he wants to restart every 5 billionmillifelps go for gold :]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:14 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffuserhttp://semiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchuckинфоtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:06 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Fail107.1PERFBettIntrBaleThomPeteBonuFritStorPremTescJohnBlooArchTescOrieGranAzzaFritSnapDeko
RossRondNatuDISCCreoTeanDoctDennMadcNickCasiIntrWorkTaftSchaPantFlaxPalmSchiFranXVIITimoRene
WaltRollPhilOmsaApopLineAddiLuxoStouHerbTherSelaSophPermModoNikiFELIMobiBergXVIISideEberMicr
MatmTempLloyNottEmilAndrichiMorgCircLynnASASZoneTerrZoneJuliZoneZoneXVIINasoZoneZonePaulPHIN
InteFunkXIIIXVIIRobeLuciZoneXIIIManfDougJaneJohnWinkMohiYvesBarbZoneMarkSergJorgHawkFredFran
ORIOBrucGebrBlueRemsGardYukoAlecBookIntrGoreForeJohnBeflWoodMistWoodSauvARAGPionXIIIMuscjazz
TeleYangEducBriaBRATElecBontwwwpWindWindMoleBrauSwarFranBritWindFOREBodeWindWindHighSomeKeep
MagiSoulFrydAlbeArisWEEKJuleOswaGramAcadJorgLoveXVIIOZONBeenThomNighGlynJohnLockJacqAndrSony
JohnMetaInteHappheavMasqThisMichConrYounEnidwwwbChloFranAnneXVIIEmerWildWishLindMySQBlueBlue
BlueArisDonaJohnwwwnHeatAndrCaffKlaucallSkipXVIIOloftuchkasFranCher

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next