Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Athrandir: End of Times
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:47 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: asrrin29@gmail.com
Some of you may or may not know of my little project I've been working on for a few years now. I stopped working on it last year when I started playing WoW, but I still have the code and I still like to tinker with it. Eventually I want it to be the premiere 2D science fiction oriented ORPG made using MS as a base. I hope to one day have a heavily modified source code that makes items, NPC's, combat, and attributes more robust and modular. I'll add more later as it progresses.

On a side note this project will largely be done in what little free time I have until I stop letting WoW get the better of me.

oh, and here's a versions history:

Code:
Version 0.0.1
Friday, February 20th, 2004
 - Added Forget Spell Command.
 - Keep the text being typed on the screen.
 - Don't lose experience when leveling.

Version 0.0.2
Sunday March 21st, 2004
 - Damage and heal tiles.
 - HP/MP bars under character.
 - Spell bug fix.  Now displays spell being cast instead of weapon in hand.
 - Added new layers.  Layers now consist of the following:
   Ground
   Mask
   Animation
   Mask2
   Animation2
   Fringe
   Animation3
   Fringe2
   Animation4
 - Added SP reduction on attack.

Version 0.0.3
Saterday March 27th, 2004
 - Added flying attribute
 - Added flying tile to mapeditor

Version 0.0.4
Sunday April 11th, 2004
 - Updated to a custom GUI.
 - Game will be sci-fi based instead of fanatsy based.
 - Added /bugreports command to allow players to find and report bugs.  still has some issues.

Version 0.0.5
Monday April 12th, 2004
 - Fixed most of the flying bugs.
 - added day/night system.
 - added admin control panel.

Version 0.0.6
Saturday May 8th, 2004
 - deleted day/night system until I can fix the bugs
 - added races as an option.  you can now choose a race AND class.

Version 0.0.7
Wednsday June 2nd, 2004
 - Added ingame forums.
 - added new sound and music engine, still tweaking this.

Version 0.0.8
Tuesday June 8th, 2004
 - Added the option to make weapons invulnerable.
 - Added fully working WhoIsOnline List box.

Version 0.0.8
Saturday May 28th, 2005
 - Added Ranged weapons, now you can finally use guns!
 - Added user name and password saver.

Version 0.0.9
Saturday September 10th, 2005
 - Converted the server from saving most information in .ini format to using a MySQL database.  Player saving lags spikes will now be

virtually non-existent.

Version 0.0.91
Tuesday February 7th, 2007
 - Added mouse movement.
 - Removed built in forum due to IE7 incompatibility.

Wishlist version 1.0

- Revamp NPC attributes.
 - Add drop tables instead of single drops
 - Revamp Item attributes.
 - mouse button spell casting.
 - mouse scroll wheel used to scroll through spell list.
 - scrolling maps.
 - F1 - F12 hot keys.
 - support for custom hotkeys.
 - faction support.
 - player owned spaceships.
 - fix the current party system.

Last edited by Asrrin29 on Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:58 pm 
Knowledgeable

Awesome work there mate.. I wonder how you did the inbuilt forums.. That sounds bloody interesting.. But i couldnt help but notice this..

Quote:
Thursday Febuary 7th, 2008

Hahahahaha.. I wouldnt mind seeing some screenshots.. Post some when your free dude.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:56 am 
Pro

Oh ya! it's been a long day, I changed that., lol

as for the built in forums, their is a component in VB6 that will give you internet explorer controls you can add into your program. I stripped out most of the buttons to give a limited functionality browser that pointed to the website, but since IE7 came out it broke those controls (because of MS's discontinued support for VB6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:12 pm 
Knowledgeable

I see.. Damn.. Oh well.. thanks for the info mate.. :wink: Remember mate.. screenshots..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:43 pm 
Pro

I think there was a gecko control for VB similar to the IE one. Gecko is the rendering engine used by Firefox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:23 am 
Knowledgeable

Misunderstood wrote:
I think there was a gecko control for VB similar to the IE one. Gecko is the rendering engine used by Firefox.

Hm.. I'll look into it when i get the time.. Thanks dude.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:42 pm 
Pro

Misunderstood wrote:

That would require they have Firefox installed in order for it to work. while I love the idea, it would have to be implemented as an option rather then feature, because not everyone will use it. I'll definitely check into it though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:34 pm 
Submit-Happy

Or you could release the needed dependencies with it.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:12 pm 
Pro

Asrrin29 wrote:
Misunderstood wrote:

That would require they have Firefox installed in order for it to work. while I love the idea, it would have to be implemented as an option rather then feature, because not everyone will use it. I'll definitely check into it though!

No...it wouldn't. It uses the same rendering engine. Netscape, Mozilla, Seamonkey, Firefox, Songbird, any XULRunner application, all use the Gecko rendering engine, aswell as some other applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:36 am 
Pro

Found a fix to this whole probem, can be found here:

http://www.cfdan.com/posts/Visual_Basic ... orer_7.cfm

Quote:
Since I installed Internet Explorer 7 all references to the library that holds the Web Browser control are broken. I see lots of people around the net are having the same issues and there is a simple solution.

All you have to do is click Project and then Components, click Browse... and locate shdocvw.dll in the System 32 directory. This will restore the IDE back to referencing the correct .dll for the WebBrowser control and all other projects will load fine from then on.

hope this helps you guy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:20 am 
Knowledgeable

Asrrin my good man.. That was one mighty find right there.. Nice work mate.. :wink: This should get my arse into gear and back into programming.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:24 am 
Regular

Hmm... So the forums aren't up yet or down? Just that I always check out the forums before playing the game that's all.

The website is looking decent though. Now hopefully I can enter the forums soon.

++Advanced Photoshop Texture Designer++

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:16 am 
Knowledgeable

does is it have visual spells?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:25 pm 
Pro

No, Forums aren't up yet until the game gets closer to release, What I did was incorporate a stripped down browser into the client to view the forums while playing. I want to incorporate roleplaying as much as possible into the game, and this is one thing I thought would work well.

and no, I do not have visual spells in the game, I'm not exactly a whiz at dirextX and bitblting...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:15 pm 
Pro

Thought I'd bump to let you al know I'm not dead, just got alot on my plate with school, work and a fiance. Still tinkering with getting my wishlist done, but I did just change the code around to when you log off from frmMirage it brings you back to the main screen instead of quitting the application, so that you can easily switch between characters without having to reopen the application.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:07 pm 
Pro

Just an update, I have a co-worker of mine contracted to work on some concept art for the website and also maybe some tiling. I have worked on the code a bit and have added a new player and NPC stat to the game, CON or Constitution. CON will replace STR in HP calculations and will eventually also replace DEF too once I get formulas worked out for stat progression. I will also be completely revamping the item system to have a requirement for any stat, level, class and race, plus be able to add special effects like raising stats, % chance effects, and life/mana stealing. CON will be among the stats that an item might have a requirement for.

Speed is going to be changed as well to affect accuracy rather then stat points, and may also be used to actually make a sprite walk faster. DEF. will no longer be a stat to put points into, rather, it will be a combination of different armor slots.

Basically, I am going to end up with a completely different item and stat distribution system from what is there currently.

Also, I am still looking for people to help me flesh out some back story and descriptions for various things in the game, no coding or art skills necessary, just a good imagination.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:03 pm 
Knowledgeable

Hey, it's good to hear you're back on the project again. :)

I still have this penchant for wanting to call you Nom. Guess the old days of Dragonlance never really left me, haha...

Some pretty spiffy ideas you've got though. Sparking my imagination further on my next project.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:34 pm 
Pro

Ya, I'm glad I'm back on the project as well. I've completely redone the website, come check it out and tell me what you think. the only thing I have left to integrate is the wiki site. I've been away to Baltimore with my fiancee for the spring break, and we just got back yesterday. when I get back home sometime today I'm going to put aside a big chunk of time to redo the stats for everything. Items, NPCs, players are all going to get more modernized stats.

Also, once I'm closer to a beta release I'm going to find a php programmer to make a status box for the main page and a table for items, monsters, and users to add to the site.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:44 am 
Pro

New news concerning how programming is going. take a look at my news article. for those who think tldr, basically I completely revamped both items and players stats. I'll post pics later to show all the improvements!

http://www.athrandironline.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=90

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:19 am 
Pro

FINALLY got my server computer to boot, turns out I had bad memory. I bought new memory and RMA'd my old stuff, so now when that comes back I'll have a 4GB machine with a dual core X2 4000+ and a SATA drive. I'll be working this weekend to install the OS, the server files, and the peripheals to get it to work, and then another week for my ISP to set it up on my wireless. Hopefully within the week I will have my server up and running to test the load it can handle!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:39 pm 
Knowledgeable

Is the game ready for testing? I want to try it.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:07 am 
Pro

I will have weekly builds of my game that may or may not be stable, and I will not announce a beta until all the major features are in the game and the server itself is stable. but I will have a server constantly up. There will not be any gameplay as far as storyline, that comes after a stable beta, what I will do is give people admin status in an attempt to break as many things as possible so that I can fix them. I have a developer currently working on storyline while I program, so once a stable beta is reached later this sumer, the game will get a good jumpstart to have a full 1.0 retail release by the end of the summer. when I say retail I mean it will be out of beta and such. I will still fix bugs, balance issues, add stuff to the game, but it will be publicly open to all as a full game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:33 am 
Knowledgeable

I was bored and drunk so I decided to create some random waves for your game. Listen through them all. If you like any of them or like one but feels it needs improvement, let me know.

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/466ec8482d_7.86MB

They are all original. If you dislike them all, tell me so I won't do more :D

Also listen to theme.wav If it's what you want I can turn it into a full song or alter it or leave it as is...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:17 am 
Pro

I didn't know you did music editing. I will listen to them more in depth when I get a chance, but so far they sound very interesting!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:31 am 
Knowledgeable

I try at least! lol

It is surely not my talent! But I like to dabble from time to time and often it is after 6-11 beers!

Try them out a bit. I don't know anything about music so my stuff tends to come out kinda "unique". It is probably an acquired taste lol :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next