Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Mirage Realms' new GUI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:14 am 
Persistant Poster

Isn't quite finished, I'm letting the games community throw all their ideas into it before I finish it off - but the general idea is there. If you keep up on MR's development you can find the full post and community here.

Oh and before William lols at my 3000th GUI, MR has had the same GUI for nearly a years worth of development now and its outgrown its old one - the new one as you will see is exactly the same theme, just has a lot more room for the functionality we have brought / are bringing to the client.

As usual, all comments and criticism welcome :3

Cheers everyone~

Attachments:
NEW_GUI.jpg
NEW_GUI.jpg [ 437.33 KiB | Viewed 14370 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:30 am 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: infectiousbyte@gmail.com
Oh god it's sex. THANK GOD I can actually put my stat points without the stupid train form (Right...?)

GIAKEN wrote:
I can't take these huge penises anymore! All that's left is shame! And blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:28 pm 
Regular

It looks real good although kinda big XD

As silly as it sounds you'd be surprised how many people still don't have resolutions over 1024x768

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:10 pm 
Banned

Good, but big. More of the same though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:26 pm 
Persistant Poster

Aydan wrote:
It looks real good although kinda big XD

As silly as it sounds you'd be surprised how many people still don't have resolutions over 1024x768

The gui JUST fits neatly on 1024x768 so we are safe, there is only one resolution between that and 800x600 so if anyone isn't on 1024x768 they need a kick in the teeth :X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:36 pm 
Regular

true. lol I agree about 800x600 that's just ridiculous for these days :P

Ah well. rather than working on the gui though why not make the game more playable with more maps, towns dungeons quests etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 pm 
Pro

i agree.

Whats the point of redoing the GUI all the time xD.
Go work on the Game instead :P.

But it doesl ook good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:04 pm 
Banned

I also think there would be more of a point to redoing a GUI if it actually changed all that much...its always extremely similar... >_> Why keep redoing it? It must get boring.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:13 pm 
In order to develop in game content, he has to expand the GUI so that it has everything he needs.

You people need to pay attention. Quit thinking you know everything about making games. Neither of you have anything worthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:21 pm 
Pro

Matt wrote:
In order to develop in game content, he has to expand the GUI so that it has everything he needs.

You people need to pay attention. Quit thinking you know everything about making games. Neither of you have anything worthwhile.

You telling me i dont know anything about game making?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:25 pm 
Mithlomion wrote:
Matt wrote:

You telling me i dont know anything about game making?

Did I say that? No, I did not. I said that you have nothing worthwhile. Silverdale is up.. again.. but for how long? It'll die off again, cause it's not popular enough. It's not fun. You have nothing original in your game, whatsoever. Fox brought retro back and now most people are trying to steal it because of how popular MR is. You start and stop projects like you're trying on clothes in a Victoria Secrets store.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:29 pm 
Pro

Lol like anybody else is doing better?

Silverdale is fun, and it is unique.
Tell me one game that plays the same as Silverdale.. any MS game, i doubt you'll find even one.

Thats not even the reason why i closed it. The reason i closed it is because it got to popular, and the engine had a fucked up bug which kicked every player each time everybody logged out.. I was waiting for DFA to correct his problems, but it took a month or two. He had lost internet or moved or whatever..

Fox brought Retro back? Yeah he brought back 32x32 sprites, that really makes his engine/game VERY unqiue.
Not saying it is not, i love MR and i love what Dugor has done to it. I just think you're bullshitting for no reasons.
Or now that i think about it.. this game has been under development for the past 4-5 years? Atleast way back when i was making Godborn.. And its basically used the same sprites since then, the same "retro" text in his GUI's.. so he hasnt brought back anything.. its been there for the past 5 years. I really am just pointing out the facts.. most of the time ive only seen new GUI's and new GUI's.. He was working on Custom Tiles, but i guess he got lazy and changed to free tiles... I'd like the play the game for real for once.. giving me more content than the 5 Enemies and 10 weapons there currently are in the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:41 pm 
Okay, and you can't do that until he finishes a gui that works with the game, now can you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:45 pm 
Pro

My Point is.. they allready got a "finnished" game, and have allready started Development.
Why not continue that development instead of remaking the whole GUI?

Or why not make the damn GUI in the first place before starting development.. The game has stood still for months now, development wise.. when its all playable and stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:04 am 
Regular

"I said that you have nothing worthwhile."

And you do? :o

Agreed with Mith though :wink:

Like he said the game's perfectly playable and real good but rather than develop and get a game going the gui just keeps getting changed. What happened to that other GUI that was supposed to happen which was on the website.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:46 am 
Persistant Poster

The joys of MS arguments lol, I actually do love you guys.

Anyhow, Mith there is a lot that has happened away from the public tests, for example we have gigantic scrolling maps, area of effect spells of definable shapes and sizes relative to the players position and direction facing (think Tibia), have applied the theory of object orientation as much as possible throughout and done a lot of work throughout the source just to rip out and redo aspects of the code that perhaps Consty could of written differently.

The community doesn't yet know of the scrolling maps, area of effect spells, relative spells, or any of that nonsense yet - I've just said it to perhaps reinforce the idea that wile the public test hasn't really changed, there is a lot we aren't sharing yet.

I'll admit its a slow development, but its a hobby - its there to be enjoyed after all :3

Matt was correct in saying the GUI has had to be redone to incorporate code changes, the picscreen has changed to accommodate the scrolling maps, the hotkey bar is there to accommodate the ability to drag potions and spells down there to assign them to your F keys, the cast bar is there for spell cast times, each hotkey box has a spell cooldown bar that you can't see unless a spell is cooling down, the party window is there to incorporate our grouping code, etc etc, its all functionality that we can't incorporate into the current interface. The change is an expansion on the current to accommodate what we have been working on, not a change for the sake of it.

The point I'm trying to put across (perhaps badly) is although on the face of the public test there is little to see, everything we have been working on for months will suddenly bloom in the next test - its just a case of pulling it all together which has been extremely difficult. For example large map(s?) = big packet sizes, so very strict clipping and packet methods had to be written, compression had to be revisited, the default player location handling client AND server side in MS suddenly becomes completely useless as soon as you implement sharded scrolling so that needs redone, every time you recode something as a benefit there are 5 steps backwards as you redo other systems to fully take advantage of your change from the ground up - in essence, because of our constant lust for ensuring the code in its entirety is all inter-twined and complimentary things take a lot longer than if we were to bolt things on as I have done in the past when I actively coded - we're all too aware of vb's shortfalls, as if you want that extra half a second of map loading time, if you want the player indexes within your screen radius to be absolutely spot on regardless, it takes a lot longer than we would like in vb6.

Turning into a long post, it needn't be - no need to argue guys, lets just enjoy MS eh :3

EDIT: To answer Aydan's question, I left the team for about 2 months as the shit hit the fan in RL for me, the changes posted by Egon were the direction those guys were going to take MR in. I came back, and, without sounding rude, kicked said changes in the face xD

EDIT2: To answer Miths question - perhaps we may have a game we could consider 'finished' - but we are no where near the stage of development we are aiming at. The development on the test server is just for the luls, its a small test playground of the client as it was a few months ago - everything I say here eventually leaks into the community so I'd rather not say too much but the current test server is but a fraction of the engine we are working towards.

Last edited by Coke on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:48 am 
Regular

:3 interesting.

It's awesome so many amazing features are being added and your game is indeed very unique. I just wish it was more playable so like we could play it properly and make parties and just enjoy the social aspect :3

I loved playing your game when it had 4 maps so if it was playable then it's be amazing!

Ah well still though, I look forward to playing it properly one day!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:58 am 
Regular

Google Talk: pepin1337@gmail.com
It's his game, let Fox do what he wants. >.>

I think the work Fox and his team put into the game takes a lot. So good job foxy :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:30 am 
Pro

Sounds pretty awesome.

Had no idea you guys had so much plans for MR. Ah well, thanks for replying Fox xD..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:17 am 
Aydan wrote:
"I said that you have nothing worthwhile."

And you do? :o

Agreed with Mith though :wink:

Like he said the game's perfectly playable and real good but rather than develop and get a game going the gui just keeps getting changed. What happened to that other GUI that was supposed to happen which was on the website.

I have a project worthwhile enough for Dugor's attention. As well as Verrigan's.

I'll be keeping it away from these forums though. Once a project is posted here, someone says something bad about it and then the person creating it, loses interest in it. Some people give proper crit, most just bash games.

*shrugs*

I really don't care what any of you think about my game, hence why it will not be posted here and in order to even access the website (once it's up..) you will have to agree not to post the game here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:25 am 
Pro

lol.. people bash games here?

Nobody has ever bashed my game O_o. Well other than saying its gonna die and stuff.. but thats pretty understandable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:54 am 
Mithlomion wrote:
lol.. people bash games here?

Nobody has ever bashed my game O_o. Well other than saying its gonna die and stuff.. but thats pretty understandable.

Almost all games are bashed when posted here. The only true game that succeeded, is SoMX. It's the only game where the creator doesn't even come on the forums at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:06 am 
Regular

Google Talk: pepin1337@gmail.com
Mith, i don't understand why you can't take some one telling you to relax so bad all the time. I mean honestly? You turn a simple topic into a fucking warfare.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:51 am 
Persistant Poster

Proxy wrote:
Mith, i don't understand why you can't take some one telling you to relax so bad all the time. I mean honestly? You turn a simple topic into a fucking warfare.

Your just adding gas to the fire now. It's fine. It wasn't even a war, no ones upset and for once
I'm suprised Matt didn't go biting people's heads off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:45 am 
Pro

Google Talk: anthony.fleck@gmail.com
tl;dr

Nice GUI.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next