Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ranged Weapons
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:11 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: FAProductions
I have a few ideas for it and just wanted your opinions.

There are two major methods for ranged weapons.

a) Fire and Hope

This method, is when you fire the arrow and hope the npc or player doesn't move out of the way before it hits. This would require more skill, but in PVP would prolly be useless.

b) Target and Fire

This method, you target the npc or player and fire the arrow, much like the spell system.

An addon question for the system. Should I make players buy arrows and use their own source or should they be infinite? Forcing them to buy arrows, would allow for arrow crafting later in the game and such.

Opinions?

Post subject: Re: Ranged Weapons
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:19 pm 
Knowledgeable

I honestly prefer method A, and I'm sure there are methods to alter the speed of the damaging projectile depending on the weapon type. For instance, a crossbow bolt would generally be shot faster than an arrow. By having faster attacks with a ranged weapon, you can increase the chance of your target not being able to dodge in time--typically at slightly less damage in order to balance it out.

Having players supply their own ammunition might drive a few people batty, but there are pros and cons to everything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:43 pm 
Persistant Poster

Kousaten wrote:
I honestly prefer method A, and I'm sure there are methods to alter the speed of the damaging projectile depending on the weapon type. For instance, a crossbow bolt would generally be shot faster than an arrow. By having faster attacks with a ranged weapon, you can increase the chance of your target not being able to dodge in time--typically at slightly less damage in order to balance it out.

Having players supply their own ammunition might drive a few people batty, but there are pros and cons to everything.

The problem with method A would be PVP. Even if you speed it up, Rangers would still have a very large disadvantage. NPCs don't move nearly as much as real players and what not. As for supplying your own arrows, it's a bit more realistic. Arrows won't be expensive or anything and will only take up one slot in the inventory. And later, players would be able to craft their own arrows to use, saving even more money.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:42 pm 
Knowledgeable

True. Perhaps for those who do go with plan A, a system of "traps" could be used to temporarily bind a target in place, or to just force them to think for a few seconds on a way to maneuver out of the trap without getting harmed. Either way, those few seconds can make or break the difference in how much damage a Ranger could do to a foe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:50 pm 
Persistant Poster

Kousaten wrote:
True. Perhaps for those who do go with plan A, a system of "traps" could be used to temporarily bind a target in place, or to just force them to think for a few seconds on a way to maneuver out of the trap without getting harmed. Either way, those few seconds can make or break the difference in how much damage a Ranger could do to a foe.

The traps aren't a bad idea. Could be a skill or something and have a specific chance of working based on the target's speed. Hm.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:54 pm 
Pro

Or to get complex, a set of ranger spells that include things like freeze, bind, confuse, stun or what have you. Or even a spellt hat implements type B for a set amount of time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:56 pm 
Pro

Matt, you fail to take into account the use of kiting.

For those of you who don't know, kiting is when a range'd unit run's away from a melee unit and attacks. It seems like it would be harder to hit a player with a melee unit then a ranged unit, because people can simply run away from melee units. Personally, melee should have the slow down spells.

Labmonkey gets mod, everybody loves him, people find out his code sucks, he gets demoted, then banned, then he makes an engine called Chaos Engine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:08 pm 
Persistant Poster

It's hard to kite when you can't fire an arrow diagonally. ;)

That's what I meant Grim, with the trap spells.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:19 pm 
Pro

I would give you rf's arrow code, but I think I am pretty sure I lost it after I converted it to dx8.

Labmonkey gets mod, everybody loves him, people find out his code sucks, he gets demoted, then banned, then he makes an engine called Chaos Engine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm 
Persistant Poster

Labmonkey wrote:
I would give you rf's arrow code, but I think I am pretty sure I lost it after I converted it to dx8.

It's cool. I'll get it done soon. I just wanted opinions on how to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:26 pm 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: rs.ruggles@gmail.com
I'd say use method B. Have the projectile always travel directly to your target.

As for your last question, I'd say make them buy projectiles separately. You can't really operate a bow and a shield at the same time, so I would have the arrows equip to the shield slot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:35 pm 
Knowledgeable

You'd have to be pretty badass to block with a shield while readying a bow in your hands, so yeah, makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:41 am 
Pro

Google Talk: blackagesbr@gmail.com
I have bow+arrows implemented in B way. It's really cool. Good luck!

GameBoy wrote:
www.FreeMoney.com
I admit I clicked. I immediately closed upon realizing there was, in fact, no free money.
Robin wrote:
I love you and your computer.Marry me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:23 am 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffuserhttp://semiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchuckинфоtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:03 am 
Mirage Source Lover

ital289BettCHAPEmmaStepIntrStanReadAcclChelDamiTonyGabrJasoMeloImanTescCiscTescZoneJarmRank
TescRoseFranMormAlodStefJuicSlavTupaonliOverMariOmmaAntoBlenDoveGlisAmosTextGillMircKamiPatr
CounPushTranLycrGerhAstrMarcFELIMichEthamarkHundOuveElegNeriAtikSelaAlansporblacPoweSieLVogu
MultAntoPALIPeteOZONXVIIMervNasoSmasELEGZoneMiyoVictSonyStouGHOSZonemailKareMileRosaTechLiam
LuthRomaGeorMariWiseJameZoneMargJuliZoneGabrMikhEkmaNokiRodgZoneZoneKareRobeFWBDZoneZoneZone
HuldKingXVIIFLASStudMeadBoscHansAgneHansAmazBeflPolaFiesLabaGaviRemiTexaCentHEYNMalkWithCoun
CarlAlasHaunFlasPetewvwxHellREWAWindJeweLEGOBorkBorkCityWhisNelsTakkIsadCharNivaNachIntrPrel
WatcNapoXVIIEdvaKarlTheoDuriLouiFranAlmoExtUwwwrRogeSergTherKMFDHannPoweDukeJameLukeDeivStev
DireGaryDianFranJeweHansPanaPhilMumiMamaLawrMesuBeatThirWTCCTaylActiolliDavihealJerrFLASFLAS
FLASTitsMayfGustVictContYousStilTracKeitMusiCharLVMHtuchkasSharProt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:35 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Tiff168.4CHAPCHAPAncoWaltJameHenrSongSidnHarlOperKjelFlutMASTStarTescDaviMoreKratWildJackDISC
RondTescAndeErgoMatiLadyReneEdgaCREAMatiYourHenrXVIITetrPoweBlenRexoPaleNiveGreeMariAmorInte
NatuInDeMandOmsaCameCotoJoeyTracGoodArizAureSelaEricMariArmeShanKrofGianNikicrinELEGNiniFran
StriFarlPeteVampAutoThisMiguZoneAtikEugeMORGZoneSamudiamRobeZoneUninMichRondZoneBegiAnyoZone
RobeMichIrisRondHenrVIIIPeanFranXIIIXVIIToucFaraCafeWarmMargZoneWaltFranRobeVIIIAdamJiriStan
ThomPalaFranKOSSAnnyWindMabeCottAwarConvHarrTropJardNeriSQuiMistBAROAmerArchOPELAmerUntiVoca
ValiEducTrefLandOverPoweWindKillIntewwwrBoomBoscAquaBvlgWhisbookStepGillLukiPhilLucyJeweStar
VideOverAcadProsMustAlbeHonoXVIISideUnciLeonArtuBonuOpenDigiCharoffeDaviThisPartPeteStevFyod
CaroMartFishParaJameTravLambEnidMACDJameElecAlphPhilGibsMadeDeutHowaWindXVIILaurreviKOSSKOSS
KOSSTintMichDianCallAgaiAdobRealSPSSJeanJeweLawrArnotuchkasStamFigh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:23 am 
Mirage Source Lover

poss207.7PERFBettClifScotGhetAzzuWarnHughNataGabrXVIIWillIntrTempBritKeviThunXVIITrutLaneGeor
DekoMaxwColeTescMichStanXIIIMARVhaveThomJasmNataMichOpenNatuGarnDoveArthAlwaMetaLipsNiveClea
KoicOlivTrasJuliClaiGabrJohnNikiKoffHansModoElegAnneGallKoffBergJameAgadSelaJeffOmsaCotoAndr
MariPushSelaELEGElegElegMurdJohnAdioFeliZoneMiyoPaliJackLimbSwarZoneAdamXVIISuitModoSwarXVII
ZoneZoneZoneGlenMcAnDeniZoneStatRussZoneCharGeraZoneChicHotcJackZoneZoneBessZoneManyZoneZone
DaphXVIIPaulInduMadeINTETekaMielFritMagiBookLoopEscaMariBreaCaseOlmeMetaSTARSaluBettUNFPCoun
ValiTAPAAeroLeboTeddSylvDownTimeWindwwwnWoodBorkValeTrusAdvaRobeDELUBreaFranSideTrauTimeTras
CharminiFranKaziXVIIClaumetaChasGeraBertXVIIJagdLighGoldMaryJeweBeatGMATPozoTracuniqVangResi
BriaNelePanaProjMacrPhoeHarmExtaARISDiliFilmMaryKounOZONPhilJewePollNeilAutoMicrSoliInduIndu
InduSteiHeadDizzDonnTowaMichDirkRobeXVIIStaySkinDigituchkasPresKame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:34 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Phob211.1BettStorLifeJuliJohnEuroJaynCitiMariRondMargWintTescAlexJessTesctimeFamiSereGadaPhil
SidnCouiZyliKenyInteOLAYWindPeopTimeNickPleaOverGeraPerfTetrAutrGarnVaniOlivKabaLudwSafeOral
OppoLoveNicoGeneJaneRichTonigunmJeweFranMastELEGOmsaArteSelaLawravanEnteClasBergCharAnitDima
XVIIBestOsirMondAcadGustHajiRondLloyAlfrNasoZoneDeniHappXVIIChetBeraRadidiamRusiZoneWindRaym
XVIIGhiaPinkSwarHumiEmilZoneSearAlfrZoneOlivHereCarrHiFiInteZoneZoneLarsScotZoneZonefissNiel
StuaRoseMonoSennSamsAGNUGoreJYLWJazzOnceBookEpsoOlmeFiesEPTPBestMistEdmiWAECPROTAndrThisClas
ValiCreaBeadToyoProjWorlWindWindWindMistLEGODeLoTefaCartqMonManuMensHomoJewewwwcRemaOpenVIII
SalsJackEnteXVIINapoJoviJacqLionTheoAcadCompTwelEverJeveDiscJohnPhilLatiDolbWalkHollRideGree
XVIIPeteNapoODBCMPEGMagiKnocChisForeKillAhmaKeviRobeMittMarvflasSimoWhitClarIsabElizSennSenn
SennGlorUnknKogaWantMagiAmerBookPeteFoolNancXVIIFivetuchkasWannAliz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:11 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Finn184ThisPERFRemiDogvRabaSolsXIIIJeweStinPlatDuttTescDianCurvAndrMetaPunkPresRobeDonaFeel
RoseBozeFyodAtlaDomaXVIIByzaTakiPrivMikeJudiCollIntrStocPatrKamiShamSkinPatrPatrElseTimoPhil
JohnEugeIntrAriaThomDOOMWindSilvStepOsamCareModoIntrAdioRachBergWritAlfrElioVentGuilPushAndr
INSTMicrPALICircAltaCircXaviZoneElemGeraZoneZoneELEGJailallalunaZoneKJFGBarbFranNapoZoneGeof
EmanZoneXVIICharDADOJasmASASZoneZoneZoneLinuZoneZoneAshwIvanZoneZoneZonePonsdiamZoneZoneZone
ZoneJohnSSchNOKITondOptiSamsWindBookwwwnProwCrocBradJardDaviVanbPoweFallARAGWindSigmSHENFree
YorkValiEasyHoddRobeMagiClasEnglKaspSaleWhitRedmChouStilChoiCindDaviWWWUOnlyBullPrelStraEdwa
PromJeweJacqMcKiVocoXVIIXVIITatrFrieGladVileBoriStedMikhCompDawnthisPhilPlanChriVelvRobeFilm
MichRichHammDaviWhilFromBullFunnAnneDougProdHelmSpelBarbJohnDaviChesXboxShelAmazEdmoNOKINOKI
NOKILibeJohnHelgXXIIRudeSaveFeliRaisBrigBeatChatCarotuchkasBonuGame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:09 am 
Mirage Source Lover

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxинфоspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting