Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:48 pm 

I saw there were some other guy that did this, mine might be better, migth not. Also I havn't really looked through the Mirage Engine Source that much so this might not be complete but anyone knowing what I'm talking about should easily get this to work.

Add this under any global scope
Code:
     Public   OnlinePlayerID(0 to MAX_PLAYERS) as integer

The OnlinePlayerID array will keep track of every player that's online and is on your map. This simply becasue its used throughout the mainloop.

Add this in the sub GameLoop, before the do while..
Code:
    dim c as long

Code:
    Do While InGame
        Tick = GetTickCount

Right after this (client side atleast) add this

Code:
    For i = 1 To C
         OnlinePlayerId = 0
     Next i

Code:
    c  = 0
    For i = 1 To MAX_PLAYERS
         If IsPlaying(i) And GetPlayerMap(i) = GetPlayerMap(MyIndex)Then
               OnlinePlayerID(C) = i
               C = C + 1
         End If
     Next i

Now we loop through all the players and find all online, and on our map and we place them in the right order in to our OnlinePlayerID array.

Then replace every
Code:

For i = 1 To MAX_PLAYERS
            If IsPlaying(i) Then
                Call BltPlayer(i)
            End If
        Next i

with

Code:

For i = 1 To MAX_PLAYERS
            If OnlinePlayerID(i) = 0 Then
                Exit For
            End If
            Call BltPlayer(OnlinePlayerID( i ))
        Next i

then

Code:

For i = 1 To MAX_PLAYERS
            If IsPlaying(i) And GetPlayerMap(i) = GetPlayerMap(MyIndex) Then
                Call BltPlayerName(i)
            End If
        Next i

to

Code:

For i = 1 To MAX_PLAYERS
                Exit For
            End If
            Call BltPlayerName(OnlinePlayerID( i ))
        Next i

Looks like it loops through the entire player array, but it don't. As soon as it find the first empty integer of our OnlinePlayersID it quits the loop.

Also, change all these puppies too
Code:

For i = 1 To MAX_PLAYERS
                If IsPlaying(i) Then
                    If GetPlayerMap(i) = GetPlayerMap(MyIndex) Then
                        If (GetPlayerX(i) = GetPlayerX(MyIndex)) And (GetPlayerY(i) = GetPlayerY(MyIndex) - 1) Then
                            CanMove = False

' Set the new direction if they weren't facing that direction
                            If d <> DIR_UP Then
                                Call SendPlayerDir
                            End If
                            Exit Function
                        End If
                    End If
                End If
            Next i

to something like this

Code:

For i = 1 To MAX_PLAYERS
                    Exit For
                End If
                        If (GetPlayerX(OnlinePlayerID(i)) = GetPlayerX(MyIndex)) And (GetPlayerY(OnlinePlayerID(i)) = GetPlayerY(MyIndex) - 1) Then
                            CanMove = False

' Set the new direction if they weren't facing that direction
                            If d <> DIR_UP Then
                                Call SendPlayerDir
                            End If
                            Exit Function
                        End If
                    End If
            Next i

Again we can remove 2 if checks, since we know all players in this array is on our map, and is also online. Again exit the for loop if we reach the end.

Note! While I havn't treid this exact code out, I did something simlar with a 3.0.3 source I played around with, this hasn't been compiled there may be typos

Further Optimizing
Instead of looping through the players on your map to check if they still are there every frame then clearing it as my tutorial now does you can simply update it when people joins / enters the map. Thanks Robin for suggesting it. However, the vanilla MSE doesn't have a such function/packet and I'm to lazy to write one for you.

Last edited by Tizela on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:10 am, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:00 pm 
Submit-Happy

Haha, nice. I've been adding this to most of my games but never got around to writing a tutorial. Seems like yours will actually run a lot better than the code I made does.

Very nice.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:05 pm 

Thanks a bunch. I'll add a bit more optimazation and feature tutorials later for fun. Think I'll go for a "paint style fill tool" for the mapeditor next if there isn't a tutorial for that already.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:19 pm 
Submit-Happy

There isn't. Although it has been done before.

All you need to do is a quick check on all connecting tiles if they're the same and fill them accordingly ;D

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:25 pm 

Hehe, sure, but if you want to use line scans methods the code gets slightly more complex, but line scan methods uses far less levels of recussion than a pixel scan method. And I did a line scan function for my visual basic mapeditor I could post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:28 pm 
Submit-Happy

Couldn't you do something like this?

All 8 tiles connected to the one clicked are scanned. If they share the same tile number they are filled and a new scan is initalised on that tile, and so the scan spreads out until no more tiles are found sharing the same tile number?

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:19 pm 

Your thinking of something like this. Though you do no't want to check all 8 tiles, since its not supposed to leak at corners.

sub filltiles(x,y, filltile,seedtile)
If seedtile = GetTile(x, y) Then
ChangeTile x, y, fill
Call filltiles(x - 1, y, filltile,seedtile)
Call filltiles(x + 1, y, filltile,seedtile)
Call filltiles(x, y - 1, filltile,seedtile)
Call filltiles(x, y + 1, filltile,seedtile)
end if
end sub

And that is indeed a fully working fill algoritm, but its also weak. (Thats point fill). Since it calls itself 4 times every time you call it, it recussion like hell and if you fill large areas you easily overflow the stack. If this was aplied to and empty 3x3 grid the recussion pattern would end like this.

Recussion 10
2-2-2
1-3-2
1-1-1

Each tile visited way more times than nessesary. When scaling that a bit it easily overflows the stack. It's probably okay for most Mirage Source users but my mapeditor should be able to handle 5000x5000 maps hehe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:25 pm 
Submit-Happy

Tizela wrote:
Your thinking of something like this. Though you do no't want to check all 8 tiles, since its not supposed to leak at corners.

sub filltiles(x,y, filltile,seedtile)
If seedtile = GetTile(x, y) Then
ChangeTile x, y, fill
Call filltiles(x - 1, y, filltile,seedtile)
Call filltiles(x + 1, y, filltile,seedtile)
Call filltiles(x, y - 1, filltile,seedtile)
Call filltiles(x, y + 1, filltile,seedtile)
end if
end sub

And that is indeed a fully working fill algoritm, but its also weak. (Thats point fill). Since it calls itself 4 times every time you call it, it recussion like hell and if you fill large areas you easily overflow the stack. If this was aplied to and empty 3x3 grid the recussion pattern would end like this.

Recussion 10
2-2-2
1-3-2
1-1-1

Each tile visited way more times than nessesary. When scaling that a bit it easily overflows the stack. It's probably okay for most Mirage Source users but my mapeditor should be able to handle 5000x5000 maps hehe.

Ah, I see.

But why 5000x5000 maps? Wouldn't it be more practical to simply use smaller maps but make them seamless rather than sharding the large map?

Jacob:
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:00 am 

Thats all in how you load them. My game will use maps more like regions, large exteriorcells so I only load what I need to see anyway basiclly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:27 pm 
Knowledgeable

What mappers want is a copy and paste tool, where they can select a section on any map, and paste it on another map/ the same map.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:41 pm 
Renegade wrote:
What mappers want is a copy and paste tool, where they can select a section on any map, and paste it on another map/ the same map.

That would just make the maps the same, which would be pointless.. imo.

I'd fire any mapper who did that. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:30 am 

Hehe, I'll see what I'll put together. :) I'll post it around the <EDIT> 24th. I'm way too stupid for my own good. </EDIT>.

Last edited by Tizela on Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:31 am 
Pro

Google Talk: Rezeyu@Gmail.com
But.. it is the 17th...

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:47 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Atra128CHAPBettKoboAlekLaruPostHenrTracBigbAgaiBlueSainJeweSimoRobePaulMichXVIITaniRosaAris
SounWishKhenEricOlivLeslAndrMarcSheiArouLibeBellMannVIIIXVIIClicOscaVisaAnneViviTescJohnLove
WrigEnidLaksProlCaroFemmFantTallELEGSelaFourSelaPeteHarrLloyPaliELEGEricBollMariSeveCamiXVII
EtniRomaTraiChocCircGIUDCircHansAwakCircXVIIJohnCircKarlZoneSharZoneXVIISupeHughToybZoneIntr
ZoneZonePadaZoneZoneSohaMachZoneZoneXVIIZoneZoneZoneMariZoneGranRobeZoneZoneZoneDreaZoneZone
ZoneChipKennTRASStanBasiTermCataEverSupeDennAskeSadiBeflGiglSomeProtBELLInfiUSSRPariveryCoun
CleaSpirVictKotlBlanBontLiveWindWindHuebYamaRedmUnitWhitRolfDaniAgatRobeBlueDraiJackDemaRobe
JohnversEditVictStefMicrEmileditRainPhedVivaHansRichJoseCariSimoVortHughMichGoldWelcMGMTSimp
WindBrucEnCEEnjoGabrBonnDrWeFedePaulJohnGipsDianFEARmixuElizSigmNyloBrinGinaHenrtermTRASTRAS
TRASStatBonuCrosCarmScorBillRemoDumbLifeKareHelpMonituchkasEuroJewe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:11 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

ouvi116.7NormBettDefoJoonDaviBrucErnsFranBrotPaoltapaAndrPinnTescTombNadiTsonTaruXVIIRolfDima
GoinSounPietBramWillActiEricRollliamMartJofaQuenAgatLiseHenrBaldErnsXVIIXVIIBlacTescKamiLame
CotoHermYoshJeweKingLatiFranShirModoSelaCircVoluSidePatrCirctranDBROGeorRoseHrisMartHomoRosa
ErosSophSpliCircMacbElegFranMantDeatAdioLukiXVIINikiAlfrZoneAnneZonealteCedaGunnJackZoneAway
ZoneZoneDansZoneZoneMcCaAlanChetZoneRolaZoneZoneZoneFerzZoneFlasZoneZoneZoneZoneWindZoneZone
ZoneXVIIGreaTRASStarMiniStielighTHISMidnRudoDaviSwarBeflOlmeClerPlanARAGSTAROffiVeniApplFolk
MagiToniJacoChriWhitDodgBabyRETABridwwwrProfSmilSmilSecrEukaDailMoneGWRUJeweRoadCultISBNVirg
LucyPoopFariVIIIDonaUllsAcadCorpGrubDantfirsDonaIntrBraiThatDownDaysSawaRadiBayaKlauStepDale
GeneAmbjWindDeutMichRahuDianVitaCraiVeitTownJohnSimsMoneThomXVIIMakaRowlRussAguaStonTRASTRAS
TRASFireDaniMemoEnjoJohnMickJoceSnowBachGeorErinPreltuchkasDiegWind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:03 am 
Mirage Source Lover

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоmagnetotelluricfield.ruинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:22 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Harr156.8PREFPERFDaiwGeorAlleJameAndyEmilMillAhlbImpeClosPianHenrCakeMarcHenrDougChriPlayKeny
DarlXVIIFracEarlChriThisAtheHereDRamNiveTechXVIIGirlPhilMezzVIIIWestUnixYvesGottPensRexoMast
NiveAndrGeraCathBoriOverHaleManlElegLakaAcceKoffStepOpenMariHamaChriwhitJeanSidnAutoDepaLast
EnigCotoELEGLogiFishSilvArteColiWindVentHighBochSelaZoneZoneMounZoneAladJuleStanFallZoneIose
ZoneMiyoTairZoneZoneRudoLuigHappZoneFranZoneZoneZoneXVIIZoneDaviJameZoneZoneCharTribZoneZone
ZoneRoseLinePCIeCopeChinFerrCandBookMostSylvLineLoveExceFlipBradHautAVTOSSANHeliFranThisIris
ValiValiCarsPotiMOXIChicNuitWindArcaWindBoomDeLohappEscaFrisLopeTamaEdgaSTALStarAlledoonWill
BeauFuryVasiFrieSeanClauHonoLeonChanVictJoaninteLeonGrieLiyaNeedNiveSoulPoweElviXVIIRockFent
WindMicrAdriAnsoSavaShelWindWinxBernSusaPixaHenrCaldJeweRSVPMillcepoRaceArleSearCheePCIePCIe
PCIeWindYoraFatsLuciWindConcAnswEtraWaltDeutPhilStudtuchkasKyleLook

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:20 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

tidl883.2PERFBettColuMPEGXVIIFestMargWindValeTescLaurTescStreTescAtlaTescTiesStefWhatGothEdga
CONSCarlJohnTescInstBegiMargNighAlisCredReflSoliExpeGustAlwaKeraExpePatrOreaBianKjelGarnDove
GraeLiveSisiAlanMercXVIIGrimNikiFOTOStepELEGElegCalvCircWindAtikStevShawSelaSelaBasiFunkArkt
EnigJoliSelaNikiNikiVentlfgaSpidAdamElegZonediamPaliHessChicSwarZoneGrypSideSergModolunaHarr
ZoneZoneZoneHighStonShadZoneNichWolfZoneDaiwLouiZoneCosmCeltValkChetZoneXVIIZoneADTRZoneZone
HenrLoviBronScouPortCoveZanuSamsAccaTranBookChanRadiDistwwwnNetfDalvGeofSTARLiveRajnThisTrad
zeroValiEducMaricasuMOXIMOXIWindWindbonuJumbConnMoulIntiBoziwwwnXVIIFyodHenrQuotSideAriawwwn
RetuAfteVasiXVIIXVIIXVIIMatlKrugTarrAnatKyunAssoClipMPEGRagewwwbDiorRajnDidiFOREAlasGrooblue
WolfJeanPoweVIIIPampMoveAnneNikaRichDarkInteAndrStreProjFionRubeMarkSomeAutoFionGibsScouScou
ScouApocErinMornTessDamaPhilLiveRobeFreeFutuEnglMusituchkasSterMeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:36 am 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:53 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Ubik157.3CHAPFiguTsunMollDietAmicXVIICircInteXVIIEGSiBeatWindTescGuerMarkFiskXVIIFranspecRich
UnivJamaKeepJohnCartSkinToveWhamXXXLSanjLeucitalconsVeriPeteCafeHermWoodPierCurvBianAccaLitt
LineAnthVoguAndrXVIIQuesEnliHabiELEGZeyeArteSpliJohnCircMatiPaliSergXVIISingZukoMariCotoCoto
TrasSieLWeniHundFallPaliSelaRaymAdamPaliZoneRondSelaHowaBornEmmaZoneTokyDeafcredJeanZoneAlan
ZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneChetZoneZoneZoneZoneLAPI
ZoneCaptWordHDMIDAXXTeveElecWindSylvGlamWondJetiLaveDaliDuraMWUnDigiSTARFORDLoveSterOverJazz
polyFrelNadoBlanClasSylvBlocWindWindmailMedaRoweChouCommChoithisBernBrisMumiSystAuriSanjTwis
JackXVIIAlexXIIIRainXVIIMcKisoftExceJameStudWindXVIIYearLeonJewePeteWillAlexDougMPLSCurrSpac
HiawArmaElviRichCaveTrinJeffgrouRobeJeweWindWiedJacqDancMachEndrJoseDaviXVIIJohnRoalHDMIHDMI
HDMIJeweRobeBookRachABECBeatmostXiaoThisExteSherWhittuchkasAdamDirt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:14 am 
Mirage Source Lover

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфосайтинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:52 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Tale248.5CHAPCHAPCourWindremiRainBasiIrwiREINTescAtlaOrieJackColuXVIIOpalrendDaviZoneGrunHome
AtlaDoreDeadJorgOreaSourCredAllaAngeBriaUSSRPrelFredBylyGillDaviCleaHypnAntoMackRogeGustColg
PureMortEclyJuleSunnBabyStarNeriSilvgunmSilvChriPRODPelhAndrSympHervMarithesSilvMariOuvePure
CherArmyGiacRosePennJameSideThomZombNeedBounAngePeepNasoEnteRobeBubcHaroFuxiRusiMikeNuclSwar
RobaBarbHapptapaRHIAAlexIvanLiliLyonAudiAndaLievWelcWorlBramMillWillFyodSlavSainFranWindJewe
FORDChriTakeCasiXVIIStevCataCataHaveHomoBookDesiNeriUrbaNazaMistGreeHeliProlNaniBendNutrAvan
ValiUSSRPzKpKotlGoviLEGOHoldwwwrWindWindBOOMSupeLegoVivazitaXVIISoorVivaSofiKapsyusuBernTime
GoldRussAubrAlbeCreaMalbEmilMariBabyAlleSPNIHubeHipnBeatDolbBurnLeonScarCarmGoldWendAudivers
WindCharIntiBookNortLonnJonaStuaPapeKissMaryIntrThatWondMATSGeneRichEjubTRIGVivihonoCasiCasi
CasiAstrwwwbCosmStevStraLittAmanFOREBonuDeliErinSecutuchkasBlodOuve