Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:07 am 
Knowledgeable

I've been doing some basic research on direct x.. using direct x 8 or direct 3d seems to be faster and seems to be able to do alphablending, particles, etc 'easier' than direct x 7 direct draw. Now, by saying 'easier' is a bad term to use, although i cant think of a good word to use at the moment.. Also with 'faster' this is just a few tutorials i've read about it..

Now, the only downside i can see from using direct x 8 is that people would have to work with surfaces in powers of 2. What i mean by that is that surfaces sizes are: 2x2, 4x4, 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, etc.. It also cant hold sizes larger than 256x256.. Now, with this explained it also means that surfaces must also be square.. Direct 3d can also scale extremely well. This is basically the way of manipulating a surface, be is increasing its size, of reversing the way it looks, etc.. All this if from what i've read on other websites about direct 3d..

Anyway, back to my question.. or request.. If anyone is able to help guide me or help me convert a normal mse into direct 3d i would really appreciate it.. It would be great if you wrote a tutorial about this.. Thanks for all input.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:53 am 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
Not only would it make that stuff possible, but it would make tiles extremely difficult to manage.

What do you do, have one surface for each tile? Then you would have thousands of surfaces slowing you down.

There is, as far as I can tell, no alternative to blitting in DX8. You can't take a section of a texture and apply it to another.

The only real option would be to keep the tile textures in seperate files, load the textures you need at the time, and use them. Unload when not in use..

Some potentially useful things I can see in DX8 is the 3D stuff. You can place 9 maps on the screen, and move the camera to achieve that scrolling maps you always wanted. easy peasy... if you can get around the other stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:59 pm 
Knowledgeable

Ahh.. I forgot all about the tiles.. Hmm... Cheers for the heads up Dave :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:43 pm 
Community Leader

I have looked into it before, and I know someone else has used DX8 in their MS game. If you do persue it, please share!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:08 pm 
Knowledgeable

Yes, what Dave said :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:20 am 
Knowledgeable

Dave wrote:
..If you do persue it, please share!

Lol.. More like if YOU persue it, please share.. Lol.. I've been doing some research on direct 3d, but yeah, thats about it.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:52 pm 
Community Leader

I did persue it, I managed to draw a star in DX83D... it was pretty kick ass. I quit there because I couldn't figure out what to do with the tiles. I sitll have pictures of the star on my broken hard drive, along with the source :D When I get that fixed (ordered the part yesterday (or two days ago?)) I can share what I did do, but it wasnt in MS nor was it much of anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:07 pm 
Regular

You don't need a surface for every tile, you can have a texture/surface for every 16 tiles. I know in, at least DX9's sprite system you can have a 256x256 area and only blt parts of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:21 pm 
Knowledgeable

Johnman wrote:
You don't need a surface for every tile, you can have a texture/surface for every 16 tiles. I know in, at least DX9's sprite system you can have a 256x256 area and only blt parts of it.

Actually sorry to sound technical, but you use textures. Far different from surfaces. :wink:

Textures, granted, have to be in 512x512 or less (and by a power of 2 in size) to be supported by the common graphic card. Now for difficulty - no. Its easy to use, probably even easier then DDraw. Before you scratch my eyes out for that, you will have to use it for yourself and get comfortable with it to know what I mean. You can easily set up a rendering sub to make it easy for other people, too. But you just have to take my word for it - DX8 is easier then DDraw, especially if you want stuff like lighting, scaling, rotations, etc, then it is WAY easier and incredibly faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:18 pm 
Community Leader

Please share something, then, this is something I've wanted for a long time ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:28 pm 
Knowledgeable

vbGORE in my sig uses DX8. :wink: Check around the Engine_Init_... subs along with Engine_Render_Rectangle - that is where the bulk of the DX8 code is. You can also check out DirectX4VB's examples

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:24 am 
Knowledgeable

Yeah i was reading up on the huge features direct3d brings.. thanks for the link dude, i'll check and out.. and Dave, if you can get that source, that would be great also.. :wink: Thanks guys..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:27 pm 
Knowledgeable

Mirage currently uses DX9 for it's rewrite. And yes, my fps went from 75 to 300+. (when removing the fps limiter). As for Mirage Source being rewritten or a tutorial about using Dx8/9 ... *shrugs*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:34 pm 
Regular

you could get high fps in mirage as is without too much work if you really wanted to
it is all in how you do it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:26 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Harr142.3StorBettKallDickfeatStanPeteEricSileMcBaBarbLemoFiskKaspXVIIThisMaurMySQManfOpelPrem
GuindeutLotuXVIIErneWinsMarkOverStanPureProfMarcEmilXVIIHookRobeThorPhilJeanHannAtlaAquoMcBa
SisiFrieRenePeteWarhPeriHTMLBavaFallELEGPlanGIUDXVIIblacQuikSelaLivelighBIANRigoAudiXVIIOxyg
RisiPhilTraiHaveAdamCalvSelaRJSuClanAdioMaugXVIIOrnaCharZoneNicodiamRammIMPEUmbrInteZonePano
ZoneZoneFaccZoneZoneChicAbouZoneZoneBetwZoneZoneZoneMantZoneJohnXVIIZoneZoneTimoPasaZoneChet
ZoneHennlornPCIeJZCoDormKospMielUtagBarbAuthIntecellSwarMistJaniPETENISSDODGTimeJeweHarrRock
CoreRenoBeadMagiHautRelaTiggwwwnWindSaleRembBrauViteFranSimbGottZombWindSpyiBurnWindUNITcapt
BettErleAufbJameWindCharEmilChefPortJohnLovefastMikhPhotRussSlasIndiCervJohnSuzaYellKareGran
WindFranJeffODMAMASTJennKirsSigmEnglWaynHenrSantPuzzBuzzJuliMonsRichEmilRollScotArthPCIePCIe
PCIeJeweMakiRingorieMoleXXXLCaroOnlyChriMichSweeVIIItuchkasAffaWolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:50 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Bonj134.2fracBettAndrOttoMariXVIIGileSandLEGODeshBourProdMagiDaviJudiJameErleRajkDavePierDeko
RimsAlleStakBookMentVIIIXVIICamoToveOpusHeinWordWaltPhilBillGoodRudyMichShelRollWineExpeRamb
SigmAnneGeorXboxArthDeepprivDaphSelaSelaAlmoAdioSimoModeQuikPaliParaLuxoGravMarkEtniSallChri
RomaOmsaNikiEnjoNeimSilvSelaMaudRolaCircFredEmilCircZappZoneAnneZoneXVIIAputJayneBayZonePian
ZoneZoneDeatZoneZoneInfiRounZoneZoneUditZoneZoneZoneXVIIZoneWindStevZoneZoneZoneSanoZoneZone
ZoneVillOpaqTRASLeadDormMetaNodoWhitWindDreaStefStevCreeLoveMistWladAUTOSTARXXVIfrohacadEthn
ValiBravCreaBlanRomaBatmJunfNikoWindWordJoshBorkBoscSupezitaWillBritJeweBradBillMuchTakeMont
VIIILondForeInteJohnXVIIEmilEnerNatiJohnEnglSparBoneIrinYallWantPhilWhatSupePumpTakeRajnKara
WindSamuWeltInteTrefEVERWindLucyFMCGADCRINTEHannAGDSHeikLittHellThomwwwrBackStepSpenTRASTRAS
TRASDoubFligSokoIntrMerrFranJerrJohnDolbRichCyntGimmtuchkasJeffInte

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:04 am 
Mirage Source Lover

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоmagnetotelluricfield.ruинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:03 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Mich174.7CHAPPERFReneScraHearFredEdouGeheNintPeteGonnHoldJohnJeweMiguHailWaltHollFranServLian
FredPoweTermEricSympChriTheoCafeDiamRSETXVIIWorlEnniTeanBrahXVIISidnManuRohiSellSolaSounArth
PatrXVIIAlexClaiStraMariMurpAlexEnjoCircAdioElviForcEnteXVIIEzekFredblacAnurCraiBrucGrimTraf
UnreOZONSTREExteWindSelaBLASSTALWensEmilJameGellELEGHerbKrieMarlZoneTreeXVIINoraMacbZoneNath
ZoneZoneRoseZoneZoneZoneLoisdiamZoneFyodZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneBrucPierZoneZoneDawnOrdiZoneZone
ZoneCCCPBerlSonyJacoCottGeneMielDrivElaiSKATBeatAdriVideMistOlmeSilvSTARARAGBlauDEUTThisCoun
ValiValiInteRajaGracReadspecWindWindKennMusiDeLoBarbPlazGourSUREseriThisPsycBangPeteBlueXVII
SakaLaraXVIIOttoBaltProjDouboperBetwForeOZONDeutAlekINSIMariCoyomediXboxnewlWorlStepCurrSerg
WindBarbAlanBritAlliDaniJudaBullRobeToveWindWilhHerbWinxVIIIJustChinGookLidiFlasMicrSonySony
SonyLarrLouiBlakMartWillCambJennXVIIThisBobbGordIndituchkasBriawwwb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:04 pm 
Mirage Source Lover

Mari257PERFBettRaelMollNeveVoglXVIICentKeikSkypLiesXVIIGregMetaSpecShinwwwgTerrDulcBrucStev
RondSladProgAtlaAdobXIIIWillSummMiguDereMistTickStraRebeDickRexoPalmThomMennCeylTescSunsNott
MicrSieLElegXVIIABECRomaLoveBandRickGeorMODOSamuPariCircHeavCircKoffWoodsizeNikiCaprCotoHerb
WillPushSelaELEGPaliVentMichThrePaliPaliZoneRondSilvAlexBATTFuxiZoneUmbrMarySamuELEGSwarBarn
ZoneZoneZoneWillJennEdouZoneZoneVIIIZoneAgatXVIIZoneSailLawrWindZonediamWashZoneClasZoneZone
MichGottAnnoCasiFlayRockHotpZanuOlivMajoMatiPostEnjoDamiMWReExpePoweAutoSTARLionJeffEncyFolk
RegiDotsEditRobeHautStefDreaAdobWindFlanWundUnitValeVersPediwwwnJeweJorgndexJohaLillEdwaFrie
AnatMagiLeonRichXXIIJohnVictSystXeliXVIIEdwaJeffVasiDigiOxidGreaJeweVIIIWarwAudiVivaHiddIain
SergEleaAlbeGerdZettXVIIVideHardExceJerrRighStudTotaMarkKeviFranStevMichHomeWilhWindCasiCasi
CasiMotlJakuIntrJemmDrawsuppTresRobeRebeSympminuMPEGtuchkasStepTibe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:45 am 
Mirage Source Lover

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:31 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Stam189.8CHAPraysAlwaYoriGhetSchiRomaVIIIXVIISonaTescStevCantTescloveTrenPataXIIIJuliClivWill
BraiPatrHousDaisAlfrPureHaroFoolAlanheavJumpTripLoneJeweCaroRespHenrAloeDennPerrTescAquoAnto
StepAlexStevDonaJeweWindYearErleModoyearFallMandRollSelaNeriVentDBROSakyThisSideCaprCotoHenr
LloySweeSelaPlanPaliPaliSelaFredLimiFeliIsaaRondCircMickChanJuliZoneRikaMichHarrPushZoneSwam
ZoneMORGZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneSileZoneZoneZoneZoneMarcZoneChet
ZoneChriJuniDoubDAXXKronToshBegoMarkwwwuDracMyMyFierConcFlipVanbOlmeRobeCoolARAGPureChroMain
ValibsrsSmasMicrWillDisnBlocWindWindmailGiotBrauClorMoscBoziThisDaviSeekMelkRhapTuriFrieForw
KMFDStanCannAcadMichDaniEmilJohnReptMartCrazOlegKMFDDigiAmazWindAustJasoMichSharStreStubAnne
SincJavaJonnMariBritHyunEnjoWindHodgQuitJackDylaVampPochLouiStanTonyMicrGeneMargEugeDoubDoub
DoubRockTunipeopBarbMIDIYousOverMathRobeClauNeedZerotuchkasGlasBene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:17 am 
Mirage Source Lover

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфосайтинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:13 am 
Mirage Source Lover

Fren255.8CHAPCHAPYoshNatuVascHerbJohnWarntravFresAtlaGardErneRondAndrHilaAndrWillZoneJustTesc
RomeJaquParvBernGarnPSNAOralHevaShowBonuJeweDeepSandRoseNatuSallNiveJavazullCleaAmadBINDRexo
SplaJackLoveToddEffeBlacPushCerrOmerFerrviscMariOkteCocaNoraDaviXVIIFeliNikiRoxyArcaAdagReco
EuroNavicartFritMarkMichDolbGeorBonuStarComiWindSempArtsSwarIngomailFilmZoneZonePaulUndeSwar
ZoneClarZoneZonediamOmarSympRichGeniWindFausTeleElisHomeRobeJohaJohnStepDolbTeenCathSchwCave
DalvMustUSSRScouMehuRoheMielCataClauKenzBookDesiSwarCommSQuiplacDuraMystHyunZootXXIIPartJazz
ValiSlinJoseJuliKickMajoAdobWindPlanWindSupeBrauhappIbizPediProtJoviGuruHeckFantAgatXIIIDiam
FantXVIILudwXVIIZeutAcadEmilAdamEditDoucwwwsBoriMumiBandRobeLeonOrsomighSemiThisReedCharMini
WindArmaPoweActiCineGeneOrigMichDistMichWikiIntrPLUSYourKennWindSpacSelmSallWillJeroScouScou
ScouJameEverElecJeweDougAthiRETAPlunBritEnglBeatThistuchkasMighGeor