Mirage Source

Free ORPG making software.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: All Fixed for Vista?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:02 am 
Community Leader

Google Talk: johansson_tk@hotmail.com
I would like to know all the fixes you guys know to get a ms game to work on vista. I would like to construct a list of all the ways to get it working.

Post subject: Re: All Fixed for Vista?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:33 pm 
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1767

That's stickied in the knowledge base.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:39 pm 
Community Leader

Yeah good, if anybody else knows something more, please post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:14 pm 
William wrote:
Yeah good, if anybody else knows something more, please post.

There isn't much more to it really..

I just used that batch file you sent me to register the dx7vb.dll file for everyone.

Haven't tried using it with UAC on though..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:21 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: Rezeyu@Gmail.com
That, and keep trying, Vista does some -wierd- shit sometimes.

10% of my reboots don't initialize my tablet drivers, and I have no mouse or pen. XD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:35 am 

Pretty much the only thing you have to do to make mirage-based games work is disabling the UAC then registering the .dll/.ocx files.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:24 pm 
Pro

I tried dual-booting with Vista Ultimate x64, and i used it for about 2 weeks before i got so pissed that it didn't support a lot of 32-bit programs that i finally dropped it. After i got my iPhone and iTunes wouldn't install, i just went back to running XP virtually on occasion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:43 am 
Community Leader

Okay, but I need a solid fix for the people that want to play my game.

And wb obsidian, its been too long =)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:23 am 
Community Leader

Google Talk: Darunada@gmail.com
disable the UAC then registering the .dll/.ocx files

I am a professional software developer in Salt Lake City, UT.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:24 pm 
Dave wrote:
disable the UAC then registering the .dll/.ocx files

Yupp.

I've only said that a few 100 times, since I posted the guide for doing it.. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:44 am 
Pro

Google Talk: anthony.fleck@gmail.com
You don't HAVE to disable UAC to register dll's. So far I have only found one other method of doing this though, nothing else seems to work.

Step 1 >> Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and Copy regsvr32.exe to your desktop, do not move it.

Step 2 >> Right click the copy of regsvr32.exe and select Properties -- Compatibility

Step 3 >> Under Privilege Level check "Run this program as an administrator" Click Apply and Ok.

Step 4 >> Drag your dll or ocx you need to register onto the newly copied and elevated regsvr32.exe. The file should register without disabling the UAC.

The reason you have to create a copy is because you cannot change the privilege levels on the original revsvr32.exe in your System32 folder. I am not sure why, probably just because of some deeper system privilege things which I don't really want to change. This works good but is kind of a hassle, however if you have paranoid people who would rather not disable the UAC then this works well for them. Also, some dlls and other files can be registered like this:

Click the Windows Start Pearl thing and in your search/run type (without quotes) "regsvr32 C:\%filepath%\%dllname.dll%" then make sure you hold Ctrl + Shift down. This opens the file in administrator mode, it works sometimes but not always. Good thing to try first before doing the other long process.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:58 am 
Community Leader

Vista fucked my computer to multiple orgasm.

It really is quite something; it's sleek, sexy, and much faster.

However, not everything is useful and not everything works (for example, my windows updates do not work from a clean install)

I'm enjoying the speed boost, but I feel that is not as much of an incentive compared to the lack of things I can do with it. I'm going to go back to XP Pro.
I find it kind of odd that my computer is FASTER with vista; I heard the other. Perhaps it's just the new window openings and such that make it SEEM faster.

I guess this weekend will be a computer weekend. Formatting this one back to XP Pro, got my new hard drives today, so I will be setting up my new webserver with Fedora, my old webserver - 2kpro (and hosting one lucky paying customer's game)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:12 pm 
Vegeta wrote:
You don't HAVE to disable UAC to register dll's. So far I have only found one other method of doing this though, nothing else seems to work.

Step 1 >> Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and Copy regsvr32.exe to your desktop, do not move it.

Step 2 >> Right click the copy of regsvr32.exe and select Properties -- Compatibility

Step 3 >> Under Privilege Level check "Run this program as an administrator" Click Apply and Ok.

Step 4 >> Drag your dll or ocx you need to register onto the newly copied and elevated regsvr32.exe. The file should register without disabling the UAC.

The reason you have to create a copy is because you cannot change the privilege levels on the original revsvr32.exe in your System32 folder. I am not sure why, probably just because of some deeper system privilege things which I don't really want to change. This works good but is kind of a hassle, however if you have paranoid people who would rather not disable the UAC then this works well for them. Also, some dlls and other files can be registered like this:

Click the Windows Start Pearl thing and in your search/run type (without quotes) "regsvr32 C:\%filepath%\%dllname.dll%" then make sure you hold Ctrl + Shift down. This opens the file in administrator mode, it works sometimes but not always. Good thing to try first before doing the other long process.

I'd just like to point out, if you're running under an admin account, then you can't set it to Run this program as an administrator, since the box will be grayed out. :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:08 pm 
Submit-Happy

Dave wrote:
Vista [edit] my computer to multiple orgasm.

However, not everything is useful and not everything works (for example, my windows updates do not work from a clean install)

I'm enjoying the speed boost, but I feel that is not as much of an incentive compared to the lack of things I can do with it. I'm going to go back to XP Pro.
I find it kind of odd that my computer is FASTER with vista; I heard the other. Perhaps it's just the new window openings and such that make it SEEM faster.

I guess this weekend will be a computer weekend. Formatting this one back to XP Pro, got my new hard drives today, so I will be setting up my new webserver with Fedora, my old webserver - 2kpro (and hosting one lucky paying customer's game)

You can make XP seem a lot faster with some registry settings.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:43 pm 
Robin wrote:
Dave wrote:
Vista [edit] my computer to multiple orgasm.

You can make XP seem a lot faster with some registry settings.

Even with that, Vista is faster.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:01 pm 
Community Leader

I thought vista was slower with all their blending shit and such.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:16 pm 
William wrote:
I thought vista was slower with all their blending [edit] and such.

Why would that make it slower?

You can think what you want, but unless you try the OS yourself, you'll never know. Vista is way faster than XP ever was for me. XP was way faster than 98 ever was for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:52 pm 
Community Leader

Well I just thought that since vista requires more RAM, it would be slower for those who dont have much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:38 pm 
William wrote:
Well I just thought that since vista requires more RAM, it would be slower for those who dont have much.

On average, computers have at LEAST 512MB of ram. Which is MORE than enough to run Vista, with Aero. I should know, my wife runs it on 512 (Without Aero) and my friend, was running it with Aero, using LESS than 512 ram, cause he had on board video which took anywhere from 32 - 128 mb of it. We upgraded his computer to a gig, and it ran better, of course, but then his mobo died. Lol. Got him a new one and Vista owns on his computer now. It's so much better than XP, but people don't like change, so everyone puts Vista down, even though they haven't used it extensively.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:42 pm 
Community Leader

The reason they say to have more RAM in Vista is because the RAM doesn't go as far. Their addressing is different so they can support more (before we were limited to 4 GB because of the 32 bit address) They changed that, so each address accesses a larger area of memory, which means some perhaps goes to waste.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:44 pm 
Dave wrote:
The reason they say to have more RAM in Vista is because the RAM doesn't go as far. Their addressing is different so they can support more (before we were limited to 4 GB because of the 32 bit address) They changed that, so each address accesses a larger area of memory, which means some perhaps goes to waste.

Yes, but more goes to good use than anything does to waste..

XP supports up to 4GB of ram total. Vista, supports up to 12GB of ram.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:44 pm 
Submit-Happy

Everyone said XP sucked when it first came out.

Jacob:
the 4 people that know how are lazy
Robin:
Who are those 4 people?
Jacob:
um
you, me, and 2 others?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:05 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: Rezeyu@Gmail.com
Vista boots like 40% faster than XP did for me.

I'm running 2 Gigs of Ram on this though. Also I noticed when I use the GFX card, my whole computer runs alot faster because Aero seems to use the hardware instead.

You can also disable all the Graphical shit, just like in XP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:40 am 
Persistant Poster

Google Talk: rs.ruggles@gmail.com
I can't speak for everyone, but my motherboard manual says that it can support no more than 3GB of RAM unless the operating system I use is XP 64bit edition, or Vista. And I seriously doubt it's because of a limitation fault of my motherboard. I blame XP.

And, as a side note, Vista also loads way faster for me. Though I tend to notice that installing and uninstalling stuff seems to go slower than XP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:39 pm 
Pro

Google Talk: anthony.fleck@gmail.com
Perfekt wrote:
Vegeta wrote:

I'd just like to point out, if you're running under an admin account, then you can't set it to Run this program as an administrator, since the box will be grayed out. :P

Thats why you must make a second copy of the regsvr32.exe onto your desktop, like I said, I don't know why you cannot change the compatibility options on the original, but if you copy it then you can without a problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next